1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basics Physics VECTOR Question

1. Oct 10, 2006 #1
    The acceleration of a particle on a horizontal xy plane is given by a=3ti + 4tj, where a is in meters per second-squared and t is in sec. At t=0, the particle has the position vector r=(20.0m)i + (40.0m)j and the velocity vector
    v=(5.00m/s)i +(2.00m/s)j. At t=4.00 s, what are its position vector in unit-vector notation and the angle between its direction of travel and the positive direction of the x axis?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2006 #2
    I'll say the same thing here as in the other problem: treat the axis as separate problems, solve both, then put the problem back together. By this point in class you've done 1d problems plenty - break this down into two separate 1d problems, figure out the i and j positions, then draw a picture of where the particle is and find the angle.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?