Troubleshooting Battery Chain Circuit for Motor Operation

In summary, the person is asking for help with a circuit that requires multiple batteries. They have soldered the batteries together and connected them to a motor and switch. After leaving the switch open overnight, 5 out of 6 batteries are dead. The person is wondering if the batteries discharged each other or if there is another reason for this. They are also seeking advice on testing the switch and the potential risk of soldering directly to batteries. The batteries used could last several years, but if they did discharge, there was likely a reason for it.
Greenfish
Hello, I'm new here, and I need help with a problem. I'm sure there is a really easy answer to this, but I don't know what it is. I can't find it googling, probably because it is so obvious to everyone else.
But I have a circuit, which requires multiple batteries to opperate. Too combine their voltage, I had the negative terminal of one soldered to the positive of the next, so one and so one in a chain. Then the positive end of that chain I soldered a wire, connected it to a motor, and then through the other part of the motor, to a switch, back to the negative end of the chain. But I had found, after leaving the switch open overnight, that 5 of the 6 batteries had not voltage (according to a multimeter), did the batteries discharge each other, or do they need the circuit to be closed for that?
Any help whatsoever would be very much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you truly have everything hooked how I read it from your description then it seems strange that you would have 5 dead cells after a short time. This is an acceptable way to wire batteries.

Okay, thanks a lot then!

As per the last if what you say is accurate then there appears no clear reason.
1) can you test your switch to make sure it is open when it is supposed to be
2) I do not recommend soldering directly to batteries it is possible to damage them
3) is it possible that wires were accidentally touching
You did not say what type of batteries were used but typical dry cells can last several years , and rechargeables like Nicads can self discharge but usually only over months, so if they did discharge then there was a reason however unlikely.
Ray.

1. How do I know if my battery chain circuit is working properly?

The best way to determine if your battery chain circuit is working properly is to use a multimeter to check the voltage at each connection point. If the voltage is consistent and within the expected range, then the circuit is functioning correctly.

2. What are common causes of a malfunctioning battery chain circuit?

The most common causes of a malfunctioning battery chain circuit are loose connections, damaged wires, and a faulty battery. It is also possible for the circuit to be overloaded, causing it to shut down.

3. How can I troubleshoot a battery chain circuit without a multimeter?

If you do not have access to a multimeter, you can troubleshoot your battery chain circuit by visually inspecting all connections for signs of damage or loose wires. You can also check the battery voltage using a voltmeter or by connecting a known working device to the circuit and seeing if it operates.

4. What should I do if my motor is not turning on despite a functioning battery chain circuit?

If your motor is not turning on, it is possible that the circuit is not providing enough current to power the motor. Check the voltage at the motor connection point and make sure it is within the motor's operating range. If the voltage is too low, you may need to add additional batteries or a larger power supply.

5. Can I fix a broken battery chain circuit myself?

In most cases, a broken battery chain circuit can be fixed by replacing any damaged wires or components. However, if you are not familiar with circuitry and electronics, it is best to seek the help of a professional to avoid further damage to the circuit or potential safety hazards.