Batting Cage Steel Tubes - What size do I use

• Wood/Glass/Metal
  • Thread starter No_Diva
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cage Steel
No_Diva
I am building a batting cage in my backyard. The cage will be 12x12x70. I'd like to use 4 steel posts. The posts will be 4 feet into the ground. I was considering using 4 x .120 A500/A513 post and cable. Can the posts handle the load? I believe the net weighs about 140 lbs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, fun project. :smile:

How many pairs of posts are you planning on for the 70' length? What kind of structure will be along the tops of the posts to support the net? Are there any wind loading or rain/snow loading considerations?

1698412287536.png

https://absolutelybushedlandscaping.com/custom-build-batting-cages/

Likes Lnewqban
No_Diva said:
Can the posts handle the load?
The answer to that question can be found by looking at batting cages in your area. Use someone else's knowledge at the cost of a small amount of vehicle fuel.
berkeman said:
Are there any wind loading or rain/snow loading co
I'd think that would be the most relevant factor - plus the effect of flying debris during storms and possibly the build up of wet leaves in autumn. Again, studying existing structures would be valuable.

No_Diva said:
The cage will be 12x12x70. I'd like to use 4 steel posts.
Just 4??? I re-read this and I assumed there would need to be a lot of guy lines to give it strength. Will you have room for the guys (at the side and at the ends)? A 70' span will involve a lot of tension to keep it from sagging badly (unless it is spider's web).
More spars and some 'triangles' in there would avoid needing to go 4' down. I'm further convinced that you need to be looking around you at what people tend to use. Are kits available - not to buy but to study?

Likes berkeman

What is the recommended diameter for steel tubes used in batting cages?

The recommended diameter for steel tubes in batting cages typically ranges from 1.25 inches to 2 inches. The size can vary depending on the overall size of the cage and the expected level of usage. For commercial or heavy usage, larger diameters provide more durability and strength.

What thickness of steel tubing is best for batting cages?

The thickness of the steel tubes, also known as the gauge, is crucial for durability. A gauge of 12 to 14 is commonly used for batting cages. Thicker gauges (lower numbers) will be more durable and resistant to bending or warping over time.

Should I use galvanized steel tubes for my batting cage?

Yes, using galvanized steel tubes is highly recommended because they offer better resistance to rust and corrosion, especially in outdoor environments. Galvanization adds a protective zinc coating to the steel, which prolongs the life of your batting cage.

What length of steel tubes are needed for a standard batting cage?

The length of steel tubes required depends on the dimensions of the batting cage you plan to build. Standard cages are typically 70 feet long, but the tube lengths will depend on the design and structure of the cage. It's common to use tubes that range from 10 to 20 feet in length, which are then joined together to form the frame.

Can I use square steel tubes instead of round ones for a batting cage?

Yes, square steel tubes can be used instead of round ones for building a batting cage. Square tubes can provide a higher degree of stability and can be easier to assemble in certain designs. However, ensure that the corners are properly protected to prevent injury and that the square tubing is of comparable thickness and material quality as round tubing would be.