Bead sliding on a rigid straight wire

In summary, the student is trying to solve a differential equation for the distance of a bead along a wire as a function of time, but is having difficulty getting the equation to work. He has found an equation for the distance of the bead, but needs to find an equation for the time at which the distance is determined.
Favicon

Homework Statement

A bead is free to slide along a rigid, straight wire, whilst the wire is rotating at angular velocity ω about the z-axis and is tilted away from the z-axis at angle α. I have the equation of motion (EOM) and need to find an explicit solution for the distance of the bead along the wire (q) as a function of time.

Homework Equations

EOM: [itex]\ddot{q} - ω^2sin^2(α)q = -gcos(α)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume the ansatz

[itex]q = Ae^{Bt} [/itex]

which differentiates twice to give

[itex]\ddot{q} = B^2q[/itex]

and substitute the second expression into the EOM, which gives (after a little rearrangement):

[itex]q = -\frac{gcos(α)}{B^2 - ω^2sin^2(α)}[/itex]

I don't know what I've done wrong, but I'm sure I must have made a mistake somewhere since the result is an expression for q which has no dependence on time, despite my ansatz that q is a function of time. Can anyone explain what I should do differently here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Favicon! :smile:
Favicon said:
EOM: [itex]\ddot{q} - ω^2sin^2(α)q = -gcos(α)[/itex]

I assume the ansatz

[itex]q = Ae^{Bt} [/itex]

which differentiates twice to give

[itex]\ddot{q} = B^2q[/itex]

and substitute the second expression into the EOM, which gives (after a little rearrangement):

[itex]q = -\frac{gcos(α)}{B^2 - ω^2sin^2(α)}[/itex]

no, it's AeBt = that

but wouldn't it be simpler to write [itex]\ddot{q} - ω^2sin^2(α)(q + gcos(α)/ω^2sin^2(α))[/itex], and make the obvious linear substitution? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Favicon! :smile:

no, it's AeBt = that

but wouldn't it be simpler to write [itex]\ddot{q} - ω^2sin^2(α)(q + gcos(α)/ω^2sin^2(α))[/itex], and make the obvious linear substitution? :wink:

Please bear with me as I'm quite rusty on my differential equation solving. By "the obvious linear substitution" I take it you mean [itex]p(t) = q(t) + \frac{gcos(\alpha)}{\omega^2sin^2(\alpha)}[/itex]

Then, since [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\omega[/itex] are both constant, we have [itex]\ddot{p} = \ddot{q}[/itex]

Substituting those into the EOM (in the form you suggested) gives

[itex]\ddot{p} - \omega^2sin^2(\alpha)p = 0[/itex]

No I take the ansatz [itex]p = Ae^{Bt}[/itex] and substitute into the previous equation to get

[itex]B^2Ae^{Bt} - \omega^2sin^2(\alpha)Ae^{Bt} = 0[/itex]

[itex]B = ±\omega sin(\alpha)[/itex]

If I remember rightly, this means a general solution takes the form

[itex]p(t) = A_1e^{\omega sin(\alpha)t} + A_2e^{-\omega sin(\alpha)t}[/itex]

Substituting for q then yields

[itex]q(t) = A_1e^{\omega sin(\alpha)t} + A_2e^{-\omega sin(\alpha)t} - \frac{gcos(\alpha)}{\omega^2sin^2(\alpha)}[/itex]

Am I right so far? I can see that to go any further would require knowledge of q(t) at some specific time, e.g q(0). However, the textbook from which I'm working suggests that to determine a specific solution for q(t) would require knowledge of [itex]\dot{q}(0)[/itex] at some specific time also. Where does this requirement come from?

Favicon said:
If I remember rightly, this means a general solution takes the form

[itex]p(t) = A_1e^{\omega sin(\alpha)t} + A_2e^{-\omega sin(\alpha)t}[/itex]

Substituting for q then yields

[itex]q(t) = A_1e^{\omega sin(\alpha)t} + A_2e^{-\omega sin(\alpha)t} - \frac{gcos(\alpha)}{\omega^2sin^2(\alpha)}[/itex]

yes :smile:

now you have two constants of integration, A1 and A2, so you need two initial conditions to find both (which will usually be a condition on q and a condition on q')

Ah yes, that's a good point. Thanks very much for your help Tiny :)

1. How does the friction between the bead and wire affect its motion?

The friction between the bead and wire will oppose the motion of the bead, causing it to slow down. However, if the force applied to the bead is greater than the frictional force, the bead will continue to move along the wire.

2. What factors influence the speed of the bead sliding on the wire?

The speed of the bead sliding on the wire is influenced by several factors, including the angle of the wire, the mass of the bead, the force applied to the bead, and the friction between the bead and wire.

3. Can the bead slide in both directions on the wire?

Yes, the bead can slide in both directions on the wire. The direction of the bead's motion will depend on the direction of the applied force and the angle of the wire.

4. How does the angle of the wire affect the motion of the bead?

The angle of the wire plays a significant role in the motion of the bead. A more vertical wire will result in a faster descent of the bead due to the force of gravity, while a more horizontal wire will require a greater applied force to move the bead.

5. Can the bead fall off the wire during its motion?

Yes, the bead can fall off the wire if the applied force is too strong or if the angle of the wire is too steep. The bead may also fall off if there is not enough friction between the bead and wire to keep it in place.