Bead sliding on a rotating rod Lagrangian

In summary: $$r = \frac{g \cos \alpha}{\omega^2} \left( \frac{\exp(\omega t) + \exp(-\omega t)}{2}\right) - \frac{g \cos \alpha}{\omega^2}$$
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A bead of mass m slides under gravity on a smooth rod of length l which is inclined at a constant angle ##\alpha## to the downward vertical and made to rotate at angular velocity ##\omega## about a vertical axis. The displacement of the bead along the rod is r(t).

A)Find the Lagrangian and the equation of motion of the bead, and obtain the general solution.
B) Show that if the bead is released from rest at r=0, it falls off the rod after a time interval $$t = \frac{1}{\omega \sin \alpha} \cosh^{-1} \left( 1 + \frac{l \omega^2 \sin^2 \alpha}{g \cos \alpha}\right)$$

Homework Equations

Lagrangian L = T - V

The Attempt at a Solution

Write the kinetic and potential energy of the bead. I get: $$T = \frac{m}{2}(\dot{r}^2 + r^2 \omega^2)\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\text{and}\,\,\,\,\,\,V = -mgr\cos \alpha$$

Using Lagrange's Eqns, this gives ##\ddot{r} - \omega^2 r = g \cos \alpha## so ##r = C_1 \exp(\omega t) + C_2 \exp(- \omega t) - g \cos \alpha/\omega^2##

If the bead is released at the origin, set t=0 as well for convenience then ##r(0) = \dot{r}(0) = 0##. Solve these to obtain ##C_1, C_2## to get $$r = \frac{g \cos \alpha}{\omega^2} \left( \frac{\exp(\omega t) + \exp(-\omega t)}{2}\right) - \frac{g \cos \alpha}{\omega^2}$$

It will fall off when r=l, so solving gives $$t = \frac{1}{\omega} \cosh^{-1} \left(1 + \frac{\omega^2l}{g \cos \alpha}\right)$$

I'm not really sure where the sin term comes in. The question states that the rod is inclined at a constant angle ##\alpha## to the downward vertical. But the rod rotates so I don't see how this is possible.
Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get the second term in kinetic energy?

Hi voko,
voko said:
How did you get the second term in kinetic energy?

I believe this term describes the tangential velocity of the bead which is present because the rod is rotating in the plane, and the bead is constrained to move along the rod.

Likes 1 person
But why is the tangential velocity ## r \omega ##? ## r ## is the distance along the rod, not from the axis of rotation.

Likes ThePhysicist_in
voko said:
But why is the tangential velocity ## r \omega ##? ## r ## is the distance along the rod, not from the axis of rotation.
I assumed the axis of rotation was at the origin, is is not?

CAF123 said:
I assumed the axis of rotation was at the origin, is is not?

This seems reasonable, yet ##r## is still not the radius of rotation.

voko said:
This seems reasonable, yet ##r## is still not the radius of rotation.

I set the problem up with one end of the rod at the origin and the other end at a radial distance ##r=l## from the origin with the rod at an angle ##\alpha## to ##-\hat{y}##. In this case, the position of the bead along the rod and the distance of the bead from the axis of rotation are the same, no?

Perhaps I misinterpreted the problem statement. As noted in the OP, the rod is at a constant angle ##\alpha## to ##-\hat{y}##. But it rotates so ##\alpha## is not the same at all times.

The very first sentence in the formulation states that the angle is constant. It cannot be both constant and "not the same".

The only sensible explanation I can think of is that the rod and the vertical axis are always coplanar and at a constant angle, but the plane rotates about the axis.

voko said:
The very first sentence in the formulation states that the angle is constant. It cannot be both constant and "not the same".

The only sensible explanation I can think of is that the rod and the vertical axis are always coplanar and at a constant angle, but the plane rotates about the axis.

What about if the rod is in 3D space, with one end attached to the origin and the other at a distance r=l from the origin, pointing downwards below the xy plane. Then the angle between the rod and the negative y-axis is always alpha, while it rotates, creating a sort of cone shaped outline as it rotates.

CAF123 said:
What about if the rod is in 3D space, with one end attached to the origin and the other at a distance r=l from the origin, pointing downwards below the xy plane. Then the angle between the rod and the negative y-axis is always alpha, while it rotates, creating a sort of cone shaped outline as it rotates.

I think this is what I described earlier. What is the distance from the axis at any point of the cone, given its distance from the vertex is ##r##?

Likes 1 person
voko said:
I think this is what I described earlier. What is the distance from the axis at any point of the cone, given its distance from the vertex is ##r##?

It is rsinα.

Thanks voko, I got it. I originally envisaged the problem in 2D, which is why I had the confusion with the angle.

What is the concept of "Bead sliding on a rotating rod Lagrangian"?

The concept of "Bead sliding on a rotating rod Lagrangian" refers to a physical system in which a small bead is constrained to slide along a rotating rod. This system is often used as a model for various mechanical and physical systems in order to study the dynamics and behavior of the bead.

What is the Lagrangian in this system?

The Lagrangian in this system is a mathematical function that describes the energy of the system as a function of the position and velocity of the bead. It takes into account the kinetic energy of the bead as it slides along the rod, as well as the potential energy due to the rotation of the rod.

How is the Lagrangian derived for this system?

The Lagrangian for the "Bead sliding on a rotating rod Lagrangian" system can be derived using the principle of least action. This principle states that the actual motion of a physical system is the one that minimizes the action, which is the integral of the Lagrangian over time. By varying the action with respect to the position and velocity of the bead, we can obtain the equations of motion for the system.

What are the equations of motion for this system?

The equations of motion for the "Bead sliding on a rotating rod Lagrangian" system can be derived from the Lagrangian using the Euler-Lagrange equations. These equations describe the behavior of the system and can be solved to obtain the position and velocity of the bead at any given time.

What are some real-life applications of this system?

The "Bead sliding on a rotating rod Lagrangian" system has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to model systems such as a pendulum, a rotating satellite, or a gyroscope. It is also helpful in understanding the dynamics of rotating bodies and can be used in the design and analysis of mechanical systems.