Calculating Friction Force on Falling Object: Ann T Matter (Weight 600N)

In summary, Ann T Matter is falling at a terminal velocity of 120 mph with a weight of 600 Newtons. No equations were given but it can be assumed that the friction force acting on her is less than 600 Newtons. Since she has reached her terminal velocity, her velocity is constant and there is no acceleration. Therefore, the resultant force on her must be equal to zero.
HarbingerGunn

Homework Statement

Ann T Matter (yeah, my teacher is that lame) (weight 600 Newtons) is falling through the air at a terminal velocity of 120 mph. How much friction is acting on her?

Homework Equations

none were given to us to use. but I'm not sure if that means that we shouldn't use any

The Attempt at a Solution

this is an odd question to me. all i can gather is that there is less than 600 Newtons of Friction Force acting against Ann (if i am even right about that). but the 120 mph is confusing me

Physics news on Phys.org
If Ann has reached her terminal velocity it means her velocity is constant. This means no acceleration.
If there is no acceleration, what do you know about the resultant force on her?

Stonebridge said:
If Ann has reached her terminal velocity it means her velocity is constant. This means no acceleration.
If there is no acceleration, what do you know about the resultant force on her?

oh thanks! 600 N. thanks alot

1. What is friction force and how does it affect the falling object?

Friction force is the resistance force that opposes the motion of an object. In the case of a falling object, friction force acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion and can slow down its descent.

2. How is friction force calculated for a falling object?

The formula for calculating friction force on a falling object is Ff = μ * W, where Ff is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and W is the weight of the object.

3. What is the coefficient of friction and how is it determined?

The coefficient of friction is a unitless value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is determined by the type of materials in contact and their surface roughness.

4. How does the weight of the object affect the friction force?

The weight of the object directly affects the friction force as it is a component in the calculation of friction force. The heavier the object, the greater the friction force will be.

5. Can the friction force on a falling object be greater than the weight of the object?

Yes, it is possible for the friction force to be greater than the weight of the object. This can occur if the coefficient of friction is high and/or the object is falling at a high speed, resulting in a larger friction force that can slow down the object's descent.