Bending moments at equillibrium

In summary, when considering a prismatic member AB with a plane of symmetry and subjected to equal and opposite couples M and M0, the equilibrium conditions require that the internal forces in any section, such as AC, be equivalent to the applied couple M. This means that every cross section of the member will experience the same moment, as shown in a free body diagram of the beam. The physical interpretation is that the internal forces will be distributed uniformly to counteract the moment, similar to how bending stresses are distributed uniformly along the length of the beam.
kidsasd987
"Consider a prismatic member AB possessing a plane of symmetry and subjected to equal and opposite couples M and M0 acting in that plane . We observe that if a section is passed through the member AB at some arbitrary point C, the conditions of equilibrium of the portion AC of the member require that the internal forces in the section be equivalent to the couple M"Could anyone provide me the proof of this? It seems little weird to me. if we applie bending moment on a beam, it would likely that each end side would experience greater moment(away from centre of mass).

How could every cross section have the same moment?

Engineering news on Phys.org
kidsasd987 said:
"Consider a prismatic member AB possessing a plane of symmetry and subjected to equal and opposite couples M and M0 acting in that plane . We observe that if a section is passed through the member AB at some arbitrary point C, the conditions of equilibrium of the portion AC of the member require that the internal forces in the section be equivalent to the couple M"Could anyone provide me the proof of this? It seems little weird to me. if we applie bending moment on a beam, it would likely that each end side would experience greater moment(away from centre of mass).

How could every cross section have the same moment?
Have you constructed a free body diagram for the beam in this condition?

Take a segment of the beam AC as described above, put all of the forces and moments which act on AC on a diagram, and see what must happen for segment AC to remain in equilibrium.

SteamKing said:
Have you constructed a free body diagram for the beam in this condition?

Take a segment of the beam AC as described above, put all of the forces and moments which act on AC on a diagram, and see what must happen for segment AC to remain in equilibrium.
simple-bending.png

simple-bending.png

I understand that it will balance out but I am confused with the physical interpretation. Should I interpret this in this way, just like stress, internal force will be distributed 'uniformly to counteract the moment?

Attachments

• 스크린샷 2016-08-29 9.58.56 AM.png
    스크린샷 2016-08-29 9.58.56 AM.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 548
Last edited:
kidsasd987 said:
simple-bending.png

simple-bending.png

I understand that it will balance out but I am confused with the physical interpretation.Should I interpret this in this way, just like stress, internal force will be distributed 'uniformly to counteract the moment?
Bending stresses are not distributed uniformly to counteract the bending moment, unless you mean that the stresses are distributed uniformly along the length of the beam (i.e., the stress in each cross section is the same, because the local bending moment is constant and equal to the applied couple M.)

SteamKing said:
Bending stresses are not distributed uniformly to counteract the bending moment, unless you mean that the stresses are distributed uniformly along the length of the beam (i.e., the stress in each cross section is the same, because the local bending moment is constant and equal to the applied couple M.)
Thanks!

Related to Bending moments at equillibrium

What is a bending moment at equilibrium?

A bending moment at equilibrium is a measure of the internal forces acting on a structure that causes it to bend or deform. It is the result of external forces being applied to a structure and the internal forces resisting those external forces.

How is a bending moment calculated?

A bending moment is calculated by multiplying the force applied to a structure by the distance from the point of application to the point of interest. This distance is known as the moment arm. The unit of measurement for bending moment is newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

What is the relationship between bending moment and equilibrium?

Bending moment and equilibrium are closely related as bending moments are the result of external forces that are balanced by internal forces to maintain equilibrium. In other words, for a structure to be in equilibrium, the sum of all external forces must be equal to the sum of all internal forces, including bending moments.

What are the factors that affect bending moment at equilibrium?

The factors that affect bending moment at equilibrium include the magnitude and direction of external forces, the material properties of the structure, and the geometry of the structure. For example, a larger external force or longer moment arm will result in a higher bending moment.

How is bending moment used in structural analysis?

Bending moment is a crucial factor in structural analysis as it helps engineers determine the strength and stability of a structure. By calculating the bending moments at different points on a structure, engineers can ensure that the structure can withstand the applied loads and will not fail or collapse.