Bernoulli Equation and flow loss

In summary, the problem involves finding the pressure at a point 200 m downstream of a pressure gauge in a pipe with a downward slope of 1:50. The first part is solved by using the Bernoulli equation, resulting in a pressure of 111,360 Pa. However, for the second part, the pressure head and velocity head are both affected by a flow loss equal to 10% of the total initial head, making it necessary to use the equation \frac{p_{upper}}{\rho g}=-4+\frac{p_{lower}}{\rho g}+1.11. Despite this, the answer obtained is still incorrect and further clarification is needed on the steps used for the solution.
danny_smith

Homework Statement

Liquid, specific density 0.8, flows with velocity 4 m/s
in a pipe that has a downward slope of 1:50. At a
certain point in the pipe, a pressure gauge shows a
pressure of 80 kPa. Determine the pressure at a
point 200 m downstream of the gauge if:

flow losses are ignored;
and,there is a flow loss equal to 10% of the total
initial head.

Homework Equations

Bernoulli equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Solved the first part and got 111,360, the second part is where I'm going wrong.

So for the second part, first I find the total initial head
P1/pg +V1^(2)/2g +z = H
(80*10^3)/(800*9.8) + (4^2)/(2*9.8) + 0
I get 11.10, so 0.1* 11.1 = 1.11
therefore pgh = P = 8000*9.8 *1.11 = 8702.4,
then simply subtract for P2, 11360 -8702.4 = 102657.6 Pa

However this answer is wrong, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it is that simple.
It is not necessary to include the velocity head since the pipe diameter is (assumed) to be constant. The flow loss means that
[itex]0.9\frac{p_{upper}}{\rho g}=\frac{p_{lower}}{\rho g}-200[/itex]

Last edited:
But solving that equation for Plower results in the wrong answer also.

By the way i think you got your Z2 mixed up it should be 4, not 200 since the slope is 1:50, either way you're answer is still wrong.

Last edited:
How did you get at 111,360 Pa?

p1/pg = 80*10^3/800*9.8
v1/2g =0 (because it cancels)
z1=0

v2^2/2g = 0 (cancels)
z2=-4

so p2 = (80*10^(3))/(800*9.8 +4)*800*9.8 = P2

Last edited:
I think we have to assume that the velocity head is also going to be reduced, not just the pressure head.

The equation then might be:
[itex]\frac{p_{upper}}{\rho g}=-4+\frac{p_{lower}}{\rho g}+1.11[/itex]

Hi Basic_Physics thanks for your input thus far, however your equation still results in the wrong answer.

I know the steps to the solution but I don't understand why those steps are used, can anyone offer some input?

As far as I can find out this type of problem is usually done via:
hupper - hlower = hloss
but the problem is that both the pressure and velocity head will be changed due to the loss.

1. What is the Bernoulli Equation?

The Bernoulli Equation is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics that describes the conservation of energy in a fluid flow. It states that the total energy of a fluid, including its potential, kinetic, and pressure energies, remains constant along a streamline.

2. How is the Bernoulli Equation used in real-world applications?

The Bernoulli Equation is used to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in various real-world applications, such as in aircraft design, water distribution systems, and hydraulic systems. It helps engineers and scientists understand the relationship between fluid velocity, pressure, and potential energy in a system.

3. What is flow loss in the context of the Bernoulli Equation?

Flow loss, also known as head loss, is the decrease in energy of a fluid as it flows through a system due to various factors such as friction, turbulence, and changes in flow direction. The Bernoulli Equation can be used to calculate the amount of flow loss in a system.

4. How do you calculate flow loss using the Bernoulli Equation?

The Bernoulli Equation can be rearranged to calculate the flow loss in a system. The equation is typically written as: P1 + 1/2ρv1^2 + ρgh1 = P2 + 1/2ρv2^2 + ρgh2. By subtracting the total energy at the initial point (P1 + 1/2ρv1^2 + ρgh1) from the total energy at the final point (P2 + 1/2ρv2^2 + ρgh2), the flow loss can be calculated.

5. What are some factors that can contribute to flow loss in a system?

Some factors that can contribute to flow loss include friction between the fluid and the walls of the system, sudden changes in flow direction, and turbulence within the fluid. Other factors, such as the fluid viscosity, density, and velocity, can also affect the amount of flow loss in a system.