Bernoulli's Principle Question

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with water flow in a horizontal pipe, where the pressure and cross-sectional area change at different points. The question asks for the water's speed in both the wider and narrower pipe. The person tried using Bernoulli's Principle but is struggling with the calculations and is seeking help. They also mention taking gravity out of the equation since the flow is horizontal.
blue88
I have this problem:
Water flowing in a horizontal pipe is at a pressure of 1.5 105 Pa at a point where its cross-sectional area is 1.50 m2. When the pipe narrows to 0.400 m2, the pressure drops to 1.16 105 Pa.
(a) Find the water's speed in the wider pipe
(b) Find the water's speed in the narrower pipe.

I tried using Bernoulli's Principle but I can't get it.
I took the (p)(g)(h) out of both sides since the pipe's height doesn't change. And then I tried solving for v1 and v2 but there are two unknowns and I don't know what to do after that...

If anyone could help, that would be awesome.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: The flow is horizontal so gravity is not a consideration. You have Bernoulli's Principle to work with (pressure + kinetic energy per unit volume = constant) but you also have a continuity condition (flux times cross section = constant).

Hi, thanks for the info.

I tried using the equation, P + 1/2pv^2 = P + 1/2pv^2
and I ended up with two unknowns, the two different v^2.
So then I tried solving for 1 v using the AV=AV equation and then plugging it back into the first equation but that didn't come out right either...

Anymore suggestions?
Could anyone show me where I am messing this up?

You're approach seems correct. Show the details of your calculation.

1. What is Bernoulli's Principle?

Bernoulli's Principle is a fundamental law of fluid dynamics that states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure within the fluid decreases. It is named after Swiss mathematician and physicist Daniel Bernoulli, who first described the principle in the 18th century.

2. How does Bernoulli's Principle work?

Bernoulli's Principle is based on the conservation of energy and states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the kinetic energy of the fluid also increases. This causes a decrease in pressure, as the total energy within the fluid must remain constant. This principle is commonly observed in the lift force created by an airplane wing.

3. What are the applications of Bernoulli's Principle?

Bernoulli's Principle has many practical applications in various fields such as aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and even medicine. It is used to explain the lift force on airplane wings, the flow of water through pipes, and the function of nebulizers and atomizers in delivering medication through inhalation.

4. Is Bernoulli's Principle always applicable?

No, Bernoulli's Principle is only applicable to ideal fluids that are incompressible, non-viscous, and have a constant density. In real-world scenarios, these conditions are not always met, so the principle may not accurately predict the behavior of fluids.

5. How is Bernoulli's Principle related to the Venturi effect?

The Venturi effect is a phenomenon that occurs when the speed of a fluid increases as it passes through a narrow section of a pipe. This is due to the decrease in pressure according to Bernoulli's Principle. The Venturi effect is used in applications such as carburetors in engines and flow meters to measure the rate of fluid flow.