Best computational tool that could be used for calculation of thermal stresses

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
chetanladha
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone.
I am working to find out temperature distribution and thermal stresses in a structure. Can anyone please advice on which could be the best computational tool (ANSYS or ABAQUS or any other) for such kind of calculations.
Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Define "best computational tool." Pretty much any standard Finite Element Analysis package is capable of the analysis you're looking for.
 
Thank you for your response.
I have been trying to use ANSYS Mechanical APDL, but i am finding it difficult to make a marine structure. I even tried to use a drafting package and export it to ANSYS (IGES format), but it didn't work out very well..
Could you suggest any other package?
 
For a start, I would recommend using ANSYS Workbench and DesignModeler rather than APDL unless yuou're very familiar with the program's inner workings.

Second, I wouldn't use IGES as your geometry import/export format. I've found that using something like Parasolid or Step will yield much better results.
 
Mech_Engineer said:
Define "best computational tool." Pretty much any standard Finite Element Analysis package is capable of the analysis you're looking for.

Pretty miuch any standard FE package will do a thermal stress calculation given a temperature distribution (i.e. the temperature at each mesh point of the FE model).

However the thermal analysis capabilities of different FE packages vary quite a lot, if you want to anything "complicated" like
- Convection boundary conditions with user-defined laws for heat transfer coefficients (typically the HTC would be a function of a few non-dimensional fluid dynamics parameters),
- Coupled fluid-solid thermal problems where heat is carried in the moving fluid,
- Phase changes like freezing or melting,
- The need for different meshes for the thermal and structural models,
- etc.