Best computational tool that could be used for calculation of thermal stresses

In summary, the conversation discusses the best computational tool for analyzing temperature distribution and thermal stresses in a marine structure. The experts recommend using ANSYS Workbench and DesignModeler rather than APDL and suggest using Parasolid or Step as the geometry import/export format for better results. They also mention that most standard Finite Element Analysis packages can handle thermal stress calculations, but the capabilities may vary for more complex problems.
chetanladha
Hi everyone.
I am working to find out temperature distribution and thermal stresses in a structure. Can anyone please advice on which could be the best computational tool (ANSYS or ABAQUS or any other) for such kind of calculations.
Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Define "best computational tool." Pretty much any standard Finite Element Analysis package is capable of the analysis you're looking for.

Thank you for your response.
I have been trying to use ANSYS Mechanical APDL, but i am finding it difficult to make a marine structure. I even tried to use a drafting package and export it to ANSYS (IGES format), but it didn't work out very well..
Could you suggest any other package?

For a start, I would recommend using ANSYS Workbench and DesignModeler rather than APDL unless yuou're very familiar with the program's inner workings.

Second, I wouldn't use IGES as your geometry import/export format. I've found that using something like Parasolid or Step will yield much better results.

Mech_Engineer said:
Define "best computational tool." Pretty much any standard Finite Element Analysis package is capable of the analysis you're looking for.

Pretty miuch any standard FE package will do a thermal stress calculation given a temperature distribution (i.e. the temperature at each mesh point of the FE model).

However the thermal analysis capabilities of different FE packages vary quite a lot, if you want to anything "complicated" like
- Convection boundary conditions with user-defined laws for heat transfer coefficients (typically the HTC woudl be a function of a few non-dimensional fluid dynamics parameters),
- Coupled fluid-solid thermal problems where heat is carried in the moving fluid,
- Phase changes like freezing or melting,
- The need for different meshes for the thermal and structural models,
- etc.

What is a computational tool for calculating thermal stresses?

A computational tool for calculating thermal stresses is a computer program that uses mathematical equations and algorithms to simulate and analyze the effects of temperature changes on a material or structure. These tools are commonly used in engineering and scientific research to predict how a system will respond to thermal stress.

What are the benefits of using a computational tool for calculating thermal stresses?

One of the main benefits of using a computational tool for calculating thermal stresses is that it allows for a more accurate and efficient analysis compared to traditional methods. These tools can handle complex equations and perform calculations at a much faster rate, saving time and resources. They also provide visual representations of the results, making it easier to interpret and communicate the data.

Are there different types of computational tools for calculating thermal stresses?

Yes, there are various types of computational tools that can be used for calculating thermal stresses. Some common examples include finite element analysis (FEA), computational fluid dynamics (CFD), and finite difference methods (FDM). Each type has its own strengths and limitations, and the choice of which tool to use depends on the specific needs of the analysis.

What factors should be considered when selecting a computational tool for calculating thermal stresses?

When selecting a computational tool for calculating thermal stresses, it is important to consider the accuracy and reliability of the tool, its compatibility with the system being analyzed, and the desired level of detail in the results. Other factors to consider include the complexity of the analysis, the cost and availability of the tool, and the expertise and experience of the user.

Can a computational tool for calculating thermal stresses be used for real-world applications?

Yes, computational tools for calculating thermal stresses can be used for real-world applications. These tools have been extensively validated and are widely used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the results depends on the accuracy of the input data and the assumptions made in the analysis.