Best Parachute Design: Minimizing Material Usage

In summary: I need to do more reading on the topic.Interesting. But I'm not sure that's a good definition of efficiency. As long as you can flare at landing, who cares how fast you descend? Well, I guess if you're paying money for each jump, you would care...well, yeah, that's the thing! We need to be able to control our speed of descent, and holes are apparently good for stability, so that's a plus. and round with a curtain seems to increase stability and is probably best for descent control. But what if there were 2 smaller round ones, you know? ... see, these are things that I should find time and be calculating ehand yes, efficiency is
Aeroneer
Hey guys;
for a project, I'm researching different parachute shapes and their efficiencies.
My question is what is the best parachute design for the least amount of parachute material (so it takes up less room when stored).
Let the brainstorm-ing begin! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I would go with a military-grade parawing.

Aeroneer said:
Hey guys;
for a project, I'm researching different parachute shapes and their efficiencies.
My question is what is the best parachute design for the least amount of parachute material (so it takes up less room when stored).
Let the brainstorm-ing begin! :)

Sorry, we don't do your project work for you. You're an Aerospace Engineering Student, so what research have you done so far on your project? What sources of information have you read? What are your initial impressions on the different parachute designs? Are there more than two basic types? How do you define "efficiency"?

berkeman said:
You're an Aerospace Engineering Student

Therein lies the advantage of a Mentor. I had no idea that he was a student, and thought that it was a personal project. Sorry for violating the "response to homework" rules; I didn't realize that I was doing so. :redface:

berkeman said:
Sorry, we don't do your project work for you. You're an Aerospace Engineering Student, so what research have you done so far on your project? What sources of information have you read? What are your initial impressions on the different parachute designs? Are there more than two basic types? How do you define "efficiency"?

haha no no no I wouldn't have you guys DO my project for me... This is just a side project, extra-curricular stuff. Just coming up with ideas now... And I haven't started the research yet so I'll let u know what I come up with when I get this Orbital Mech Assignment out the way.
And about the efficiency, it's more of a low amount of space taken up when folded and lower speed of descent that I'm looking for.

Danger said:
Therein lies the advantage of a Mentor. I had no idea that he was a student, and thought that it was a personal project. Sorry for violating the "response to homework" rules; I didn't realize that I was doing so. :redface:

No worries Danger. Your response was pretty generic, so I had no problem with it.

Aeroneer said:
haha no no no I wouldn't have you guys DO my project for me... This is just a side project, extra-curricular stuff. Just coming up with ideas now... And I haven't started the research yet so I'll let u know what I come up with when I get this Orbital Mech Assignment out the way.
And about the efficiency, it's more of a low amount of space taken up when folded and lower speed of descent that I'm looking for.

Interesting. But I'm not sure that's a good definition of efficiency. As long as you can flare at landing, who cares how fast you descend? Well, I guess if you're paying money for each jump, you would care...

well, yeah, that's the thing! We need to be able to control our speed of descent, and holes are apparently good for stability, so that's a plus. and round with a curtain seems to increase stability and is probably best for descent control. But what if there were 2 smaller round ones, you know? ... see, these are things that I should find time and be calculating eh
and yes, efficiency is kind of a loose term for me at the moment... more output per input's what I find defines it best; quantitative OR qualitative...

1. How does the design of a parachute affect the amount of material used?

The design of a parachute plays a crucial role in determining the amount of material needed for its construction. By optimizing the shape and size of the parachute, it is possible to minimize the amount of fabric required while still ensuring safe descent.

2. What factors should be considered when designing a parachute for material usage?

When designing a parachute for material usage, factors such as the weight of the payload, the desired descent rate, and the atmospheric conditions should be taken into account. These factors will help determine the optimal size and shape of the parachute, which in turn will minimize the amount of material needed.

3. What impact does the type of material used have on the overall design?

The type of material used for a parachute can greatly affect its design and the amount of material needed. Certain materials may be stronger and more lightweight, allowing for a smaller parachute design. However, these materials may also be more expensive, so a balance must be struck between material strength and cost.

4. How can computer simulations be used to improve parachute design and reduce material usage?

Computer simulations can be incredibly helpful in optimizing parachute design and reducing material usage. By using specialized software, we can test different parachute configurations and make adjustments to find the most efficient design. This can save time and resources in the prototyping and testing stages.

5. Are there any other benefits to minimizing material usage in parachute design?

Aside from cost savings, minimizing material usage in parachute design can also lead to a more environmentally friendly solution. By using less material, we can reduce waste and potentially lower the environmental impact of our designs. Additionally, smaller parachutes are easier to pack and transport, making them more efficient for deployment in real-world situations.