Top Pick: The Best Recorded Song

• Thread starter 1123581321
  • Start date
In summary, there is a wide range of opinions on what the best song ever recorded is. Some mention "Born To Run" by Springsteen, "Dream On" by Aerosmith, "In the Name of Love" by U2, "It's All Right, Ma, I'm Only Bleeding" by Bob Dylan, and "YMCA" by the Village People. Others suggest "Ramble On" by Led Zeppelin, "All Along the Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix, "Echoes" by Pink Floyd, "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly, and "American Pie" by Don McLean. Many also mention their personal
hypnagogue said:
On the first run through the CD, Ramblin' Man was playing as we finally got off the highway and slowly crept through the small town of Chamberlain, South Dakota towards the campsite. When it finished, I had to play it again, because it was just too good of a match for the whole scene.

Do delta women think the world of you?

By the way, South Dakota was the first state I've ever been in that has a 75mph speed limit. And it also has the Badlands. God bless South Dakota.

California has a max speed of 75, but you'll only find that out in the middle of the desert.

Physics news on Phys.org
Entropy said:
Fade to Black- Metallica

Needs no explanation.
I was losing hope until i made it to this post.

Before joining PF, I was a music addict. One of my hobbies was to make CD sets to take with me in my car, but most of all when going to Lake Powell for several days. In deciding to make a Classic Rock set, I began to catalogue and collect CDs/Singles I did not already have. I've been doing this slowly over a few years. I have everything I've collected so far in a spreadsheet--maybe I could find a way to post it, because I would love any additions I may have missed. (So far no one has mentioned a classic rock song I don't know of/have).

maybe sandstorm by darude
or come into my dream by foggy

meh i duno too many songs lmao

Danger said:
Despite the way people like to characterize her, Shania Twain is rock, not cowboy ****, and I really like 'Up'.
That might mean something if it wasn't known you were a patriotic Canadian. You just like her cause she's famous and Canadian.

Danger said:
You Are My Number One and Walking on the Sun by Smashmouth
:rofl: What? Not allstar too?

Ivan Seeking said:
Hey, there's one for the youngers: Do kids now even know that we used to buy just two songs at a time?
We still do, they're called singles. You don't get out much do you grandpa?

Smurf said:
That might mean something if it wasn't known you were a patriotic Canadian. You just like her cause she's famous and Canadian.
Negative. I like it 'cause it sounds great. I'm friends with George Fox, but he knows that I don't like country and it doesn't hurt his feelings any. Some of his are folk rock rather than country, and I like them okay too. (Incidentally, when he first started going solo sometimes outside of the band called 'Cochrane', he was fired from the bar that I worked at because he wouldn't play country. He was a hard-core rocker. A couple of years later, I paid him $200 to play all night at my 3rd baseman's cabin for our ball team party.)

Thorogood definately has some good songs.
'Move it on over', 'Summertime blues', 'get a haircut' (my favourite), and 'you talk to much' just to name a few

Nice to know I am not the only old-timer to remember "I'd Love to Change the World" and "Sylvia's Mother."

Anybody remember "Toast and Marmalade for Tea" by Tin Tin around that same time?

The Tennessee Birdwalk by Jack Blanchard & Misty Morgan :biggrin:

Smurf said:
We still do, they're called singles. You don't get out much do you grandpa?

What format, sonny? Still selling 45s in Canada, eh? :biggrin:

Last edited:
You May Be Right, For the Longest Time & This Is My Life by Billy Joel
The Mighty Quinn by Manfred Mann
Camarillo Brillo, I'm the Slime & Zombie Woof by the Mothers
Dream Weaver by Gary Wright
Baker Street & Right Down the Line by Gerry Rafferty
Almost all Simon & Garfunkel, but especially The Sounds of Silence, Homeward Bound & the Boxer
Kodachrome, Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard & Call Me Al by Paul Simon

Now wait, we have to include almost everything by Simon and Garfunkel.

Ivan Seeking said:
Now wait, we have to include almost everything by Simon and Garfunkel.
Is there an echo in here? :uhh: :cool:

So I have heard that Steppenwolf invented metal. Comments?

You can't 'invent' music.

sure you can

in·vent Audio pronunciation of "invent" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-vnt)
tr.v. in·vent·ed, in·vent·ing, in·vents

1. To produce or contrive (something previously unknown) by the use of ingenuity or imagination.
2. To make up; fabricate: invent a likely excuse.

'by use of ingenuity or imagination' should also be added by 'use of drugs and plants'

cronxeh said:
'by use of ingenuity or imagination' should also be added by 'use of drugs and plants'
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: true, true.

So.. wait, does that mean that the person invented the music? or the plant? :devil:

Hard to say. Some people (Terence Mckenna) think that first people got their language, creative thinking, etc, from synethesia which resulted from eating psychodelic plants and mushrooms

Talking to SOS2008 reminded me that I should list her theme song here: "Good Girls Don't" by the Knack. :tongue:

What is your theme song Danger?

That reminds me: A Boy Named Sue.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:biggrin:

Oh wait, Smurf's theme song is a Boy Named Sue.

Ivan Seeking said:
Oh wait, Smurf's theme song is a Boy Named Sue.
And I guess Artman's would be "Little Willie". :biggrin:
I'll claim 'Zombie Woof' as mine; at least it goes witht the avatar.

Hey!1 Little Willy. I had forgotten about that.

Okay let me see...I'm going to pick...Space Oddity, by Bowie.

okay now this is too weird. Check out what just popped up in a search

Bowie Sued Over Space Oddity; Published: 19-Apr-2005
http://www.star-ecentral.com/music/sleeve/notes.asp?file=archives/sleeve/2005/4/19/19BowieSuedO&date=4/19/2005

Ivan Seeking said:
okay now this is too weird. Check out what just popped up in a search
:eek: My hero is tainted! :redface:
Speaking of whom—Putting Out Fire (With Gasoline)
Who's Going to Drive You Home & You Must Think by the Cars
White Wedding by Billy Idol
Bang a Gong by T-Rex
Rock 'N' Roll Pt.I by Gary Glitter

Most of the CCR catalogue
Rock and Roll Girls & Center Field by John Fogerty
Come and Get Your Love by Redbone
Right Place, Wrong Time by Dr. John
O Siem by Susan Aglukark
We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions by Queen

Danger said:
Talking to SOS2008 reminded me that I should list her theme song here: "Good Girls Don't" by the Knack. :tongue:
Very funny "Nasty Boy". :tongue2: Did everyone forget the title of the thread? We want to know the BEST songs, not most obscure. Geez! :rofl:

Last edited:
SOS2008 said:
Very funny Nasty Boy. :tongue2: Did everyone forget the title of the thread?
Since when has the title had anything to do with what we post? :rolleyes:

Major Tom by Peter Schilling (based on Bowie's Space Oddity)

I'd forgotten this until it just came on the radio: Love Will Find a Way by Pablo Cruise

Iron Maiden: Hallowed Be Thy Name ('82)

Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Rick Wakeman
Autobahn by Kraftwerk
Mr. Roboto by Styx