Finding Radius of Curvature for Biconvex Lens

In summary, using the thin lens equation and the formula for calculating the focal length of a lens, it is determined that the focal length of the biconvex lens is 4.167 cm. This information can then be used to calculate the required radius of curvature for the second surface of the lens, which is found to be 45 cm.
Jacob87411
An object is located 36 cm to the left of a biconvex lens of index of regraction 1.5. The left surface of the lens has a radius of curvature of 20 cm. The right surface of the lens is to be shaped so that a real image will be formed 72 cm to the right of the lens. What is the required radius of curvature for the second surface?

I asked earlier on this, but I still got it wrong: this is what I did -

I used 1/F=(n-1)(1/R1 + 1/R2)

1/72 = (1.5 - 1) (1/.2 + 1/R2)
Solved it and got R2 to equal 45 cm. I am pretty sure 1/F shouldn't be 72, but if its unknown that would make it unsolvable unless I am missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
First use the thin lens equation to solve for the focal length of the lens:
[itex]1/o + 1/i = 1/f[/itex]​

Yeah I thought of that.

1/f = 1/56 + 1/72

Is it 56 because there is the 20 cm radius of the left lens and then 36 cm to the object?

Jacob87411 said:
Is it 56 because there is the 20 cm radius of the left lens and then 36 cm to the object?
No. 20 cm is the radius of curvature of the left surface of the lens, not the thickness of the lens. Assume the lens is thin enough to use the thin lens formula:
[itex]1/36 + 1/72 = 1/f[/itex]​

Ah alright, that gives focal length of 4.167 cm, then just plug that into the

1/f=(n-1)(1/R1 + 1/R2)

Last edited:
Jacob87411 said:
Ah alright, that gives focal length of 4.167 cm...
Careful not to mix up f with 1/f.

Right, thanks for the help

FAQ: Finding Radius of Curvature for Biconvex Lens

What is the formula for finding the radius of curvature for a biconvex lens?

The formula for finding the radius of curvature for a biconvex lens is R = n(f1 + f2), where R is the radius of curvature, n is the refractive index of the lens material, and f1 and f2 are the focal lengths of the lens.

How do I measure the focal length of a biconvex lens?

The focal length of a biconvex lens can be measured by placing the lens in front of a distant object and moving it back and forth until the image appears sharp. The distance between the object and the lens is then equal to the focal length.

Can the radius of curvature of a biconvex lens be negative?

Yes, the radius of curvature of a biconvex lens can be negative. This occurs when the lens is concave on one side and convex on the other, resulting in a negative radius of curvature for the concave side.

What factors can affect the radius of curvature for a biconvex lens?

The radius of curvature for a biconvex lens can be affected by factors such as the refractive index of the lens material, the curvature of the lens surfaces, and the distance between the lens surfaces.

How is the radius of curvature used in the design of biconvex lenses?

The radius of curvature is an important factor in the design of biconvex lenses as it determines the amount of bending that the lens will produce on light rays passing through it. A larger radius of curvature will result in a less steep curve and less bending, while a smaller radius of curvature will result in a more pronounced curve and more bending of light.