Understanding Vector Addition: Pythagorean Method vs. Direct Addition Explained

• Thread starter MoreZitiPlease
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, when adding vectors, you can use the Pythagorean theorem if they are perpendicular or on different axes, and you can simply add them if they are on the same axis or pointing in the same direction. It is always helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the vectors. Additionally, you can also add vectors component-wise. If the angle between the vectors is 0 or 180 degrees, you add or subtract as necessary. If the angle is 90 degrees, the hypotenuse is the resultant. For any other obtuse angle, you can use the parallelogram law.
MoreZitiPlease
I need help with adding vectors. I basically want to know when do I use the pythagorean method and when do I simply add them.

Please.

This has me confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
please. :(

(1,1,1) + (1,1,1) = (2,2,2)

magnitude of the vector is equal to

square root of 2^2 + 2^2 + 2^2 = root pf 12

what?

I mean if its 8m N + 6 M E [example]

should I do the theorem or no?

MoreZitiPlease said:
what?

I mean if its 8m N + 6 M E [example]

should I do the theorem or no?

Draw a diagram. You will see that those vectors form two sides of a right angled triangle, of which the hypotenuse is the resultant.

so if they are on a different axis: phythagorean thereom?
same axis: add?

if they are collinear then add them otherwise if the vectors are perpendicular (ie - 1 is North and the other is East) then you use the pythagorean thereom to find the resultant

MoreZitiPlease said:
so if they are on a different axis: phythagorean thereom?
same axis: add?

To get the magnitudes then, yes, if two vectors point in the same direction you can add them to get the resultant. If not, it is always safer to draw a diagram.

Note that, however, if you want to simply add vectors, you can do it component-wise; so if a=(x,y), b=(u,v), then a+b=(x+u,y+v).

If the angle between them is 0 or 180, you add or subtract as necessary...if the angle is 90 degrees...the hypotenuse is the resultant

if the angle is any other obtuse angle...you use the parallelogram law

FAQ: Understanding Vector Addition: Pythagorean Method vs. Direct Addition Explained

1. What are vectors and how are they used in science?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction. In science, vectors are used to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and displacement. They are also used to model complex systems and analyze data.

2. How are vectors different from scalars?

Scalars are mathematical quantities that have only magnitude, while vectors have both magnitude and direction. For example, temperature is a scalar quantity, as it only has a numerical value, while velocity is a vector quantity as it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

3. What are some common operations performed on vectors?

Some common operations on vectors include addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication. These operations allow for the manipulation and analysis of vector quantities in mathematical equations.

4. How do vectors relate to forces and motion?

In physics, forces are represented by vectors, as they have both magnitude and direction. This allows for the analysis of the effects of multiple forces acting on an object. Vectors are also used to represent the motion of objects, such as the displacement and velocity of an object.

5. Can vectors be used in other fields besides physics?

Yes, vectors have applications in various fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and statistics. They can be used to represent and analyze data in these fields, as well as model complex systems and phenomena.

Back