1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binary star systems

1. Mar 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Angular separation of stars 1.5 arcsecs
    Parallax 0.0050 arcsecs
    Apparent vis magnitude 2.5 (star a) and 7.5 (star b)

The two stars may be in orbit about each other in a binary system, or may be separate stars viewed by chance in almost the same direction in the sky.

(i) What are the radial velocities of Stars A and B?

(ii) Give two examples of further observational results that would demonstrate that the stars are definitely not in abinary system.

(iii) Give two examples of further observational results that would
    demonstrate that the stars are definitely in a binary system.

(iv) If the stars appeared to be so close together that they were unresolved (i.e. appeared as one star), give a further example of an observational result that would demonstrate that they are in a binary system.

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

(i) I've got 15000ms-1 and 21000ms-1

(ii)

(iii)

(iv) Eclipsing binaries if the plane of the orbit is perpendicular to the plane of the sky?

I know it has something to do with visual binaries and spectroscopic binaries but can't think how to apply it :-(

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Well, you can measure the radial velocities even if you cannot separate them in a telescope.

(iv) multiple eclipses are a good idea.

What about a simple observation of 1-2 orbits, if the period is not too long?

What about a determination of the 3D motion of both stars, or differences in their parallax?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted