Biomedical Engineering to Mathematics Major

In summary, the conversation is about someone who wants to apply to Mathematics grad school after having completed a Bachelor Degree in Biomedical Engineering in 2010. They are seeking advice on how to prepare for grad school and what their best bet is to get in. The person also shares that they have always been interested in mathematics and regret not pursuing it in the first place. However, they are unsure about their mathematical background and whether they should study pure or applied mathematics. Another person in the conversation questions their decision to switch to mathematics from biomedical engineering, stating that biomedical engineering is on the verge of major breakthroughs in conquering disease, aging, and death while mathematics may seem less impactful. The original person responds by saying that they found biomedical engineering to
akku8803
Hi

My main question is about applying to Mathematics grad school. I had done my Bachelor Degree in Biomedical Engineering and completed back in 2010. I am looking to go back to school but I don't BME (let alone engineering) is for me. I want to go into Mathematics, it was what I had wanted to do since High School but under the advice of my counselors and parents I went into engineering. I know I don't have all the required courses, but I am trying to find out what my best bet is to get in AND how I should prepare myself. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please tell us some more:

What mathematical background do you have?

Are you planning to study pure mathematics, or applied mathematics?

Biomedical engineers are on the verge of conquering disease, aging, and death itself before the century is out and you want to become a mathematician? Why do you want to spend all your energy thinking of more ways to add 0, divide by 1, and change the order of summation? Reconsider!

Likes 1 person
lambda90 said:
Biomedical engineers are on the verge of conquering disease, aging, and death itself before the century is out and you want to become a mathematician? Why do you want to spend all your energy thinking of more ways to add 0, divide by 1, and change the order of summation? Reconsider!

i agree however biomedical engineering in my mind is pretty vague. Part of why I didn't like it

Delong said:
i agree however biomedical engineering in my mind is pretty vague. Part of why I didn't like it
And mathematics isn't vague? It's undergrad so you just got the foundation. Start working or go to grad school and specialize.

1. What is biomedical engineering?

Biomedical engineering is a field that combines principles of engineering and medicine to design and develop solutions for healthcare and medical problems. It involves the application of engineering concepts to understand, diagnose and treat medical conditions.

2. What is the role of a biomedical engineer in the healthcare industry?

A biomedical engineer plays a crucial role in the healthcare industry by developing medical devices, equipment, and techniques that improve patient care. They also work on developing new technologies for medical imaging, drug delivery, prosthetics, and other medical treatments.

3. How does a major in mathematics relate to biomedical engineering?

A major in mathematics provides a strong foundation for biomedical engineering as it involves advanced mathematical concepts such as calculus, differential equations, and statistics. These skills are essential in analyzing and interpreting data, which is a crucial aspect of biomedical research and development.

4. Can a biomedical engineering major also pursue a career in mathematics?

Yes, a major in biomedical engineering can also pursue a career in mathematics, especially in fields related to biomedical research and development. They can also work as data analysts, statisticians, or in other roles that require strong mathematical skills.

5. What are the job prospects for a biomedical engineering to mathematics major?

The job prospects for a biomedical engineering to mathematics major are promising, with a wide range of career options available in industries such as healthcare, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and research institutions. These majors can also pursue higher education in either field to further their career opportunities.