1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biot Savart, Electrons, and Cirucular Currents

1. Oct 12, 2009 #1
    A circular wire ring of diameter 18 cm carries a current of 5.0 A directed as indicated in Figure P.51. A moving electron just happens to be passing through the neighborhood. When the electron is at the center of the circular ring and moving at speed 2.50 multiplied by 106 m/s in the direction indicated in the sketch, find the acceleration of the electron.
    p20-51.gif

Equations I found relevant:
    The Biot Savart Law:
    B=([tex]\mu[/tex]/4[tex]\pi[/tex])(I)([tex]\int[/tex]dl x r / r^2)

F=qv x B

Biot Savart solves for the magnetic field, they I can plug this into the force equation, and once I know the force, I can divide by the mass to get the particles acceleration.
    I had some issues with the Biot Savart...

I used the following numbers
    B=([tex]\mu[/tex]/4[tex]\pi[/tex])(5A)(circumference of the circle/r^2)
    dl= circumference of the circle which eqauls d[tex]\pi[/tex]. or .5654
    since r is the distance from the circle to the particle, it equal the circle's radius which is .9m.
    Therefore B=3.4906e-5
    I substitute this into the force equation giving me
    F=qv x B
    The v vector and B vector are perpendicular, so it is just scalar multiplication.
    I get F=1.3980e-17
    I can then divide this by the mass to get the acceleration.
    Thus a= 1.5347e13
    I used q= 1.602e-19 and m= 9.1093e-31

All of this led me to a wrong answer...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2009 #2
    You got the method right, but the metric units are a bit off: the radius is .09m.

4. Oct 12, 2009 #3
    that was a typo. my final answer used .09 as the radius, and I still got the problem wrong.

5. Oct 12, 2009 #4
    I still haven't checked the calculations yet...but for the moment, maybe what is needed is a negative (electrons have a negative charge, so the acceleration vector is in the opposite direction when compared to positively charged particles, such as protons).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook