Biot Savart, Electrons, and Cirucular Currents

In summary, the moving electron just happens to be passing through the neighborhood of a circular wire ring of diameter 18 cm. When the electron is at the center of the ring and moving at speed 2.50 multiplied by 106 m/s in the direction indicated in the sketch, find the acceleration of the electron.
cwatki14
A circular wire ring of diameter 18 cm carries a current of 5.0 A directed as indicated in Figure P.51. A moving electron just happens to be passing through the neighborhood. When the electron is at the center of the circular ring and moving at speed 2.50 multiplied by 106 m/s in the direction indicated in the sketch, find the acceleration of the electron.
p20-51.gif

Equations I found relevant:
The Biot Savart Law:
B=([tex]\mu[/tex]/4[tex]\pi[/tex])(I)([tex]\int[/tex]dl x r / r^2)

F=qv x B

Biot Savart solves for the magnetic field, they I can plug this into the force equation, and once I know the force, I can divide by the mass to get the particles acceleration.
I had some issues with the Biot Savart...

I used the following numbers
B=([tex]\mu[/tex]/4[tex]\pi[/tex])(5A)(circumference of the circle/r^2)
dl= circumference of the circle which eqauls d[tex]\pi[/tex]. or .5654
since r is the distance from the circle to the particle, it equal the circle's radius which is .9m.
Therefore B=3.4906e-5
I substitute this into the force equation giving me
F=qv x B
The v vector and B vector are perpendicular, so it is just scalar multiplication.
I get F=1.3980e-17
I can then divide this by the mass to get the acceleration.
Thus a= 1.5347e13
I used q= 1.602e-19 and m= 9.1093e-31

All of this led me to a wrong answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
You got the method right, but the metric units are a bit off: the radius is .09m.

Gear300 said:
You got the method right, but the metric units are a bit off: the radius is .09m.

that was a typo. my final answer used .09 as the radius, and I still got the problem wrong.

I still haven't checked the calculations yet...but for the moment, maybe what is needed is a negative (electrons have a negative charge, so the acceleration vector is in the opposite direction when compared to positively charged particles, such as protons).

Related to Biot Savart, Electrons, and Cirucular Currents

1. What is the Biot Savart Law?

The Biot Savart Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady electric current. It states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current, the length of the current, and the sine of the angle between the current and the point.

2. How do electrons contribute to magnetic fields?

Electrons are the charge carriers in a current, and their movement creates a magnetic field. As they move, they create a circular current, which in turn produces a magnetic field around the current.

3. What is circular current?

Circular current refers to the flow of electric current in a circular path. This can occur in a wire that is bent into a loop or in a coil where the wire is wrapped around a core. Circular currents are important in electromagnets and in generating magnetic fields.

4. How is the Biot Savart Law applied in real-world scenarios?

The Biot Savart Law is used to calculate the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire or a circular current. This is useful in many applications, such as designing electromagnets, motors, and generators. It is also used in medical imaging techniques like MRI machines.

5. Are there any limitations to the Biot Savart Law?

Yes, the Biot Savart Law is only applicable to steady electric currents. It does not apply to time-varying or alternating currents. Additionally, it assumes that the current is flowing in a vacuum and does not take into account any external factors, such as nearby objects or other magnetic fields. It is also a classical law and does not apply in the quantum realm.