What is the Magnetic Field at Point P?

• Thread starter krondragon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the question asks for the strength and direction of the magnetic field at point P in Figure P32.52, given a current of 4.5 A and a distance of 2.2 cm. The magnetic field for a half loop at the center of a circle is determined using the equation Mu*I/(4R). The solution involves using the principle of superposition and accounting for signs to find the net field from both arcs. After realizing a mistake in interpreting the distance, the correct answer was obtained.
krondragon
[SOLVED] Biot Savart homework question

Homework Statement

What are the strength and direction of the magnetic field at point P in Figure P32.52, in which the current is 4.5 A and d = 2.2 cm?

p32-52.gif

Homework Equations

Mu*I/(4R) <--- Magnetic field for a half loop at center of circle

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried numerous things with this. I know that the straight wires contribute no field so I only had to work with the arcs. I knew that the total magnetic field faces away from you as the magnetic field from the closest wire is stronger and goes into the page. I am at my last submission for this homework problem, so it is a hit or miss =(. My teacher explained it quickly and my textbook does not elaborate too far into this law. I have been stuck on this for several hours already. Thanks in advance.

EDIT

I am in no hurry whatsoever. This homework isn't due till thursday and I already have all questions but this one done. Thank you again in advance and answer when it is most convenient for you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct that you only have to work with the arcs. Try to use the principle of superposition. Find the field from one loop and add it to the field from the other loop, while keeping track of signs. This should give you the net field. What direction should the net field point? I will need to see more work if I am going to be able to help you further.

Oh my god I found my mistake. It turns out I misread distance d. I thought distance d was the distance between the arcs, not the distance from arc 2 to the point p. I figured it out and was able to obtain the correct answer.

Last edited:
Glad to hear it!

1. What is the Biot Savart Law?

The Biot Savart Law is a mathematical equation that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady current. It states that the magnetic field at a given point is directly proportional to the current, the length of the current, and the sine of the angle between the current and the distance from the point to the current.

2. How do you use the Biot Savart Law to calculate the magnetic field?

To use the Biot Savart Law, you need to know the current, the length of the current, and the distance from the point to the current. You can then use the equation B = (μ₀/4π) * (I * dl x r)/r³, where B is the magnetic field, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current, dl is the length of the current, r is the distance from the point to the current, and x represents the cross product.

3. What are the units for the Biot Savart Law?

The units for the Biot Savart Law depend on the units used for each variable in the equation. The magnetic field is typically measured in Tesla (T), the current in Ampere (A), the length in meters (m), and the distance in meters (m). Therefore, the units for the Biot Savart Law are T * m/A.

4. Can the Biot Savart Law be used for non-steady currents?

No, the Biot Savart Law can only be used for steady currents. For non-steady currents, the Ampere's Law is used instead. This is because the Biot Savart Law assumes that the current is constant and does not change with time.

5. How is the Biot Savart Law related to other laws in electromagnetism?

The Biot Savart Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism, along with the Gauss's Law, the Ampere's Law, and the Faraday's Law. It is used to calculate the magnetic field, while the other laws are used to calculate the electric field and the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. Together, these laws form the basis of classical electromagnetism.