Biot-Savart Law & Magnetic Field: Clarification

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnetic field vector and how it is visualized when applying the Biot-Savart Law. There is confusion about whether the field is exerted like a ring around a particular segment of current or if it is like a ring that goes all the way up and down along the current. The Biot-Savart Law shows that there is a small contribution from each segment of the wire, but there is no component of the field in the direction of the segment and the distance from the wire affects the strength of the field. The experts clarify that the field is not just a ring, but can be visualized as a cylinder around the wire.
PFStudent

Homework Statement

I had several questions about the magnetic field vector.

For example when applying the Biot-Savart Law, I was under the impression that each differential element [itex]{d{\vec{s}}}[/itex] containing a current [itex]{I}[/itex] along an infinitely long straight wire exerts a magnetic field according to the right-hand-rule (R.H.R.), [itex]{\vec{B}}[/itex] around and perpendicular to that differential segement [itex]{d{\vec{s}}}[/itex]. As shown below,

26911_image001_jpg.JPG

However, I then came across this figure which more clearly shows that--from a differential segement [itex]{d{\vec{s}}}[/itex] with a current [itex]{I}[/itex] at a distance [itex]{\vec{r}}[/itex] oriented at an angle from [itex]{d{\vec{s}}}[/itex] there is a differential magnetic field [itex]{d{\vec{B}}}[/itex] due to this segment. As shown below,

26910_bsav_jpg.JPG

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart Law

[tex]
{d{\vec{B}}} = {{\frac{{\mu}_{0}}{4{\pi}}}{\cdot}{\frac{Id{\vec{s}}{\times}{\vec{r}}}{{r}^{3}}}}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a little confusing as I assumed that from the R.H.R. visualization of a magnetic field due to a current; that it showed that the magnetic field goes around the current at that particular segment (like a ring) and is oriented perpendicular to the current at that particular length segment.

So, then how is the magnetic field really supposed to be visualized if the R.H.R. visualization suggests it is exerted like a ring around a particular segment of current? As opposed to the other visualization suggesting that the magnetic field from a particular segement is like a ring that goes all the way up and down along the current and always perpendicular to the current.

So, how is it that the magnetic field is supposed to be visualized?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,

So, does anyone know how this works?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

[itex]{\vec{B}}[/itex] = [itex]\int{d{\vec{B}}}[/itex]. The magnetic field will not be radially symmetric if there is a kink in the wire.

PFStudent said:
This is a little confusing as I assumed that from the R.H.R. visualization of a magnetic field due to a current; that it showed that the magnetic field goes around the current at that particular segment (like a ring) and is oriented perpendicular to the current at that particular length segment.

So, then how is the magnetic field really supposed to be visualized if the R.H.R. visualization suggests it is exerted like a ring around a particular segment of current? As opposed to the other visualization suggesting that the magnetic field from a particular segement is like a ring that goes all the way up and down along the current and always perpendicular to the current.

As the Bios-Savart law shows, there is a small contribution from each ds everywhere, but there is no component of B in the direction ds and r.

Both pictures are correct, so maybe I don't see where your difficulty lies. In both pictures is dB perpendicular to ds. Just imagine ds and r in one plane in the 2nd picture, then dB will point into the page.

Or is it that you thought the contribution was really a ring? (i.e. zero if r is not in the plane perpendicular to ds?) That's not true, as the law shows. The field drops off proportionally to 1/r^2. Remember that for an infinitely long wire, the field drops off as 1/r. That's because there are contributions from all parts of the wire. The greatest contribution does come from the part where r is perpendicular to ds.

Hey,

Galileo said:
Or is it that you thought the contribution was really a ring? (i.e. zero if r is not in the plane perpendicular to ds?)

That is exactly what I thought, since I interpreted the R.H.R. visualization literally as an image--that the magnetic field existed only as a ring, in only the plane perpendicular to [tex]{d{\vec{s}}}[/tex].

So, how would you best describe how the (total) magnetic field looks? Would you say that it is like a cylinder around the wire?

Thanks for the reply.

-PFStudent

What is the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between an electric current and the magnetic field it produces. It states that the magnetic field at a specific point is directly proportional to the current and inversely proportional to the distance from the current.

How is the Biot-Savart Law used in science?

The Biot-Savart Law is used in many areas of science, including electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and plasma physics. It is especially useful in calculating the magnetic fields produced by current-carrying wires, which is important in designing devices such as motors and generators.

What is the difference between the Biot-Savart Law and Ampere's Law?

The Biot-Savart Law and Ampere's Law are both used to calculate magnetic fields, but they apply to different situations. The Biot-Savart Law is used for calculating the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire, while Ampere's Law is used for calculating the magnetic field inside a closed loop of current.

How does the Biot-Savart Law relate to the Lorentz Force?

The Biot-Savart Law and the Lorentz Force are related by the fact that they both describe the effects of a magnetic field on a charged particle. The Biot-Savart Law calculates the magnetic field produced by a current, while the Lorentz Force calculates the force experienced by a charged particle moving through a magnetic field.

What are some real-world applications of the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law has many important applications in various fields. It is used in the design of electric motors and generators, as well as in medical imaging techniques such as MRI. It is also used in geology to map out the Earth's magnetic field and in plasma physics to study the behavior of ionized gases.