Does a Black Body Absorb or Release Energy?

In summary, Kirchhoff's law of thermal radiation states that a black body emits as much radiation as it absorbs, and that the emission spectrum is dependent on the temperature of the black body. Black holes are black bodies that have reached a state of equilibrium in which they emit all radiation that hits them.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello

I am wondering, does a black body release energy as heat, or does it only absorb all energy that basically comes into contact with it?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Maylis said:
Hello

I am wondering, does a black body release energy as heat, ...
No, it releases energy as electromagnetic radiation.
... or does it only absorb all energy that basically comes into contact with it?

Thanks
Not really. It absorbs all electromagnetic radiation that is incident upon it.

UltrafastPED said:
A black body emits as much radiation as it absorbs; it is a steady state condition.
No, that's not correct. Maybe in some sense it is correct, but that will only be confusing. If you put two black bodies in the universe, energy will flow from the hotter one to the colder one and you only reach steady state after they reach the same temperature.

A black body emits a particular spectrum of electromagnetic radiation which only depends on the temperature of the black body. In other words, any two black bodies of the same temperature, no matter what they are made of, have exactly the same surface brightness and look the same through a spectrometer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-body_radiation

It's a useful concept because most sufficiently hot and absorbent objects with enough internal degrees of freedom (like stars) have spectra which are close to the black body spectrum.

Maylis, are you possibly confusing a black body with a black hole? A black hole is a black body, but they are very different concepts.

A black body releases energy through all available avenues, but usually when people are talking about a black body, they only care about the electromagnetic emission.

No, I'm learning about black bodies in the context of radiation heat transfer, so I want to calculate the heat energy released or absorbed by a black body

Ok, "heat" is a tricky term, and there's nothing wrong with how you used it in the previous post, but in your original post, when you use heat as a noun without much context, it is very unclear what you mean. Heat doesn't describe a particular type of energy, but rather categorizes energy by how it is behaving statistically. Heat is energy that travels from hot things to colder things.

A black body will absorb any light hitting it, and it will emit a blackbody spectrum.

Maylis said:
No, I'm learning about black bodies in the context of radiation heat transfer, so I want to calculate the heat energy released or absorbed by a black body

Have you derived, or rather seen the derivation of, the Stefan-Boltzmann law yet?

I'm familiar with it, yes. Complexities are added when one must consider view factors and such.

1. What is a black body?

A black body is an idealized object that absorbs all electromagnetic radiation that falls on it, and emits radiation at all wavelengths. It is an important concept in physics and is often used as a theoretical model for real objects.

2. Does a black body absorb energy?

Yes, a black body absorbs all of the energy that falls on it. This is due to its perfect absorptivity at all wavelengths. However, it also emits energy at the same rate that it absorbs it, making it a perfect emitter as well.

3. Does a black body only absorb energy in the form of light?

No, a black body absorbs all forms of electromagnetic radiation, not just visible light. This includes infrared, ultraviolet, and even radio waves. It also absorbs non-electromagnetic forms of energy, such as heat.

4. How does a black body release energy?

A black body releases energy through a process called blackbody radiation, in which it emits radiation at all wavelengths. The amount of energy released is dependent on the temperature of the black body, with hotter bodies emitting more energy at shorter wavelengths.

5. Can a black body release more energy than it absorbs?

No, a black body can only release as much energy as it absorbs. This is due to the principle of energy conservation, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. Therefore, the amount of energy absorbed by a black body must be equal to the amount of energy it emits.