I=mv^2/w^2-2mgh/w^2Find Inertia of Wheel for Block & Pulley Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment of inertia of a wheel, given the mass of a block attached to a string wrapped around the wheel and the height the block rises before coming to rest. The equation h=(v^2/2g)(1+I/mR^2) is used to calculate the moment of inertia, with g being a constant value that should have more digits of accuracy than the result requires. It is suggested to use g = 9.807 m/s2 or g = 9.80665 m/s2 in calculations to avoid losing accuracy. Intermediate values should be rounded to the appropriate number of significant digits to avoid errors in the final result.
eagles12

Homework Statement

A block of mass m=2.4kg is attached to a string that is wrapped around the circumference of a wheel of radius r=7.6cm. The wheel rotates freely about it's axis and the string wraps around it's circumfrence without slipping. Initially, the wheel rotates with an angular speed ω, causing the block to rise with a linear speed v=.29m/s.
Find the moment of inertia of the wheel if the block rises to a height of h=7.7cm before momentarily coming to rest.

Homework Equations

Ei=Ef

The Attempt at a Solution

Ei=1/2mv^2+1/2Iw^2+mgy
Ei=1/2mv^2+1/2Iw^2+0
Ef=1/2mv^2+1/2Iw^2+mgy
Ef=0+0+mgh
mgh=1/2mv^2+1/2Iw^2

Physics news on Phys.org
I had found the equation
h=(v^2/2g)(1+I/mR^2)
and i got I=.2349
I had to use two significant digits in my answer and I used .23 but it is saying that I need to check the rounding or number of significant digits.

eagles12 said:
I had found the equation
h=(v^2/2g)(1+I/mR^2)
and i got I=.2349
I had to use two significant digits in my answer and I used .23 but it is saying that I need to check the rounding or number of significant digits.

What value did you use for g? You should use values for constants that have more digits of accuracy than the result requires.

I used 9.8 would 9.81 be better? or should I go further than that?

got it! thanks!

eagles12 said:
I used 9.8 would 9.81 be better? or should I go further than that?

g = 9.807 m/s2 is usually good enough. I usually use g = 9.80665 m/s2 in my calculations so I never have to worry about it :smile:

Round results, not intermediate values, so you don't lose accuracy through the calculation process.

What is the equation for finding inertia of a wheel in a block and pulley system?

The equation for finding inertia of a wheel in a block and pulley system is I = mv^2/w^2 - 2mgh/w^2, where I is the inertia of the wheel, m is the mass of the wheel, v is the velocity of the wheel, w is the angular velocity of the wheel, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the block and pulley system.

How is inertia related to the motion of the wheel in a block and pulley system?

Inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its motion. In the case of a wheel in a block and pulley system, the inertia of the wheel determines how much force is needed to change its velocity or angular velocity.

Can the inertia of the wheel be calculated without knowing the mass, velocity, and height of the block and pulley system?

No, the inertia of the wheel cannot be calculated without knowing the mass, velocity, and height of the block and pulley system. These parameters are all necessary in order to use the equation I = mv^2/w^2 - 2mgh/w^2.

How does the inertia of the wheel change if the mass or height of the block and pulley system is increased?

If the mass or height of the block and pulley system is increased, the inertia of the wheel will also increase. This is because the equation for inertia includes both the mass and the height of the system.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated inertia of the wheel in a block and pulley system?

The accuracy of the calculated inertia of the wheel can be affected by factors such as measurement errors, friction in the system, and external forces acting on the system. It is important to carefully measure and account for these factors in order to obtain an accurate value for the inertia of the wheel.