Block of wood friction problem

In summary: ERICAN MADE FIREARMIn summary, a 7 g bullet fires into a 1kg block of wood held in a vise, will penetrate the block a depth of 8.00 cm. This block of wood is placed on frictionless horizontal surface, and a 7.00 g bullet is fired from the gun into the block. To what depth will the bullet penetrate the block?
hauthuong
a 7 g bullet fires into a 1kg block of wood held in a vise, will penetrate the block a depth of 8.00 cm . this block of wood is placed on frictionless horizontal surface, and a 7.00 g bullet is fired from the gun into the block. to what depth will the bullet penetrate the block ?
I bang my head in the wall, but I coudn't find a hint to solve this . Could you guy please give me a hint . Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
a) Penetration depth is proportional to kinetic energy spent on penetration.
Let us consider the case where a bullet penetrates a wall (i.e, the bullet doesn't cause the other object to move.)
All the bullet's kinetic energy is used to deform the wall, and is subsequently removed from the system in the form of heat&sound (or remains as heightened temperature).
In terms of the average force F acting on the bullet, we have:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_{0}^{2}=Fd[/tex]
where the penetration depth d is seen to be proportional to the initial kinetic energy.

b)In the case where the wooden block starts to move, only part of the system's (bullet+block) initial kinetic energy has been expended for penetration.
Some remains as kinetic energy.
Therefore, the new penetration depth is proportional to the difference between system's initial and final kinetic energies. To solve the problem, assume the proportionality constant to be the same.

thank for your reply . So the above problem does not give me enough info to solve. Is it right? (because it does not give me V and F)

Oh, yes it does!
1) F is the proportionality constant that I said should be regarded as the same in both cases.

2)Initial velocity is NOT necessary, you may find the new penetration depth as a fraction of the old penetration depth:
a) In the first case, we have:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}m_{bull}v_{0}^{2}=Fd_{0}[/tex]
([tex]d_{0}=8cm[/tex])
In the second case, you have the equation:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}m_{bull}v_{0}^{2}-\frac{1}{2}(m_{bull}+M_{block})V^{2}=Fd_{new}[/tex]
Dividing the first equation on the last, yields:
[tex](1-\frac{m_{bull}+M_{block}}{m_{bull}}(\frac{V}{v_{0}})^{2})=\frac{d_{new}}{d_{0}}[/tex]
Since you may express V in terms of [tex]v_{0}[/tex] by conservation of linear momentum, you get determinate solution.

Last edited:
yes, but how do you solve for the V(bullet + Block) in terms of V(bullet)? :uhh:

swatikiss said:
yes, but how do you solve for the V(bullet + Block) in terms of V(bullet)? :uhh:
This is given by conservation of linear momentum:
[tex]m_{bull}V(bull)=(m_{bull}+m_{block})V(bull+block)[/tex]

arildno said:
This is given by conservation of linear momentum:
[tex]m_{bull}V(bull)=(m_{bull}+m_{block})V(bull+block)[/tex]
This is correct, of course. But the problem does not require a detailed mathematical approach. We know that the energy of the block will be about .7 percent of the energy of the bullet (since the recoil speed of the block is 7/1007 of the bullet speed and the mass is 1007/7 of the original mass, the recoil energy is 7/1007 of the bullet energy). The rest is dissipated by the bullet in penetrating the block. So, the bullet will penetrate 7.94 cm. (99.3 percent of the original cm depth).

AM

1. What is a block of wood friction problem?

A block of wood friction problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the amount of friction between a block of wood and a surface. It typically involves determining the coefficient of friction and using it to calculate the force of friction.

2. What factors affect the amount of friction in a block of wood friction problem?

The amount of friction in a block of wood friction problem is affected by several factors, including the type of surface the block is resting on, the weight of the block, and the material and texture of the block and surface.

3. How do you calculate the coefficient of friction in a block of wood friction problem?

The coefficient of friction can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. The force of friction can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force.

4. What are some real-life applications of block of wood friction problems?

Block of wood friction problems have many real-life applications, such as determining the amount of force needed to push a heavy object across a surface, calculating the stopping distance of a car on a road, and understanding the mechanics of sliding doors and drawers.

5. How do you reduce friction in a block of wood friction problem?

There are several ways to reduce friction in a block of wood friction problem. One way is to use a lubricant, such as oil or grease, to reduce the contact between the block and the surface. Another way is to increase the surface area of the block by using a larger block or adding ridges or textures to the surface.