1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block sliding down a track

1. Jun 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass m=1.3 kg slides down a frictionless track, as in the attachment diagram. The block is released at height h=4m. The radius of the curvature of the track at the bottom is R=1m. What is the force of the track on the block at A?

Untitled.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Fg+N=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I assumed that the track would be applying the normal force on the block, but the block does have some velocity and acceleration once it hits the bottom of the track, but I am not sure how to incorporate those.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Is the track a half pipe like track? Either way you have to take the centripetal force into account.

4. Jun 7, 2009 #3
    The track goes down and then stops at B.

5. Jun 7, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

That may be, but you're asking what happens in a point A, since I cannot see the picture I don't know exactly how the track looks like. It is doubtful that it matters though I will say it again, centripetal force!

6. Jun 7, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi toastie! :smile:

You need to use good ol' Newton's second law in the vertical direction … F = ma …

so what is the vertical acceleration (at point A)?

and how many forces are there at A? :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook