1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block sliding down incline, hitting another block, find distance.

1. Oct 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a physics lab, a cube slides down a frictionless incline as shown in the figure , and elastically strikes another cube at the bottom that is only 1/6 its mass. If the incline is 30 cm high and the table is 90 cm off the floor, where does each cube land?

2. Relevant equations

mgh = 1/2mu^2
    mu1 + mu2 = mv1 + mv2, or...
    u1 = v1 + 1/6v2
    y=.5gt^2
    x=vt

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having some difficult with this problem.

u=initial velocity
    v=final velocity

I first figured out the velocity, u1, of the first block using mgh=.5mu^2. I ended up with 2.42, which should be the speed at which the second block is hit.

Conservation of momentum:

m1u1 + (1/6)m2u2 = m1v1 + (1/6)m2v2

Masses cancel out, and the (1/6)m2u2 is zero, since the second block is at rest at the moment of impact from the first block. So...

u1 = v1 + (1/6)v2. Since u1 = 2.42...

2.42 = v1 + (1/6v2), or...
    14.52 = 6v1 + v2

Which SHOULD mean...
    v1 = 2.42 - (1/6)v2 and
    v2 = 14.52-6v1.

That's where I stop. Since the definition of each velocity references itself, then I end up getting v1 = v1, and v2 = v2. That's obviously not helpful. What's the next step?

Thanks...

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted