Blocks and pulley with mass - rotational dynamics

In summary, the problem involves two blocks of masses m1 = 8.00 kg and m2 = 12.00 kg connected by a string on a cylinder of mass 0.50 kg and a radius of 0.15 m, with an angle of 30° between the string and the inclined plane. The coefficient of kinetic friction between m1 and the surface is 0.10. The task is to calculate the initial mechanical energy, final mechanical energy after traveling 4 m, and the velocity of the blocks after traveling 4 m. Using the equations for kinetic and potential energy, moment of inertia, and net force on the system, it is determined that the final velocity is 5.3216 m/s
jsrev

Homework Statement

Two blocks of masses m1 = 8.00 kg and m2 = 12.00 kg are connected by a string of insignificant mass. The string lies on a cylinder of mass 0.50 kg and a radius of 0.15 m. The coefficient of kinetic friction between m1 and the surface of an inclined plane is 0.10. The angle of that plane is 30°. (See figure here http://imgur.com/WtpJoye ) If the blocks were stationery at the beginning and they move 4 m, calculate:

a) The initial mechanical energy of the system.
b) The final mechanical energy of the system after traveling 4 m.
c) The velocity of the blocks after traveling 4 m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part c), I have tried the following
(W being the weight of m1)
[tex]
EI = PEf + KEf + Wfr\\
m2·g·h = m1·g·h + \frac{1}{2}·m1·v^2 + \frac{1}{2}·m2·v^2 + \frac{1}{2}·w^2 + W·sen(30°)·4·0.10
[/tex]

Which after more manipulation becomes

[tex]
v = \sqrt{\frac{m2·g·h-m1·g·h-9.8·m1·sen(30°)·4·0.10}{\frac{1}{2}·m1 + \frac{1}{2}·m2 + \frac{1}{4}·mp}}
[/tex]
Where mp is the mass of the pulley or cylinder.
The result I get after changing the values is v = 3.73 m/s

Is this correct? Also, how can I solve the parts a) and b) ? I am not really sure about what to do next or if what I'm doing is right.

I would really appreciate any help you could give me to solve this correctly. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the KE of rotation of the cylinder is given by

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]Iω[itex]^{2}[/itex] where I is the moment of inertia of the cylinder.

Also it is not clear where you have taken the reference level from which the PE[itex]_{grav}[/itex] is to be measured.

grzz said:
Note that the KE of rotation of the cylinder is given by

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]Iω[itex]^{2}[/itex] where I is the moment of inertia of the cylinder.
He has appropriately involved the rotational inertia and rotational KE (not in his original equation, but in his final equation it appears correct.)
grzz said:
Also it is not clear where you have taken the reference level from which the PE[itex]_{grav}[/itex] is to be measured.
I don't think it matters? (Only the change in GPE is relevant)

jsrev said:
[tex]
v = \sqrt{\frac{m2·g·h-m1·g·h-9.8·m1·sen(30°)·4·0.10}{\frac{1}{2}·m1 + \frac{1}{2}·m2 + \frac{1}{4}·mp}}
[/tex]
Where mp is the mass of the pulley or cylinder.

I only see two possible problems:

First, why would it be sin(30°) and not cos(30°)? (I'm talking about this term: [itex]9.8·m_1·sin(30°) · 4 ·0.10[/itex])

Next, you seem to have neglected the fact that the change in height would not be the same for [itex]m_1[/itex] and [itex]m_2[/itex] (you used "h" for both of them)

By "h" you mean "4" right ?

for [itex]m_2[/itex] it would go down by 4 (and thus have [itex]|ΔE_{grav}|=4m_2·g[/itex])

but for [itex]m_1[/itex] it would only have [itex]|ΔE_{grav}|=4m_1·g·sin(30°)=2·m_1·g[/itex]
(the reason is that the distance of 4 meters that it travels is the distance of the "hypotenuse" whereas the Δh traveled is only 2 meters)

Last edited:
My post refers to the first step of the original post.

grzz said:
My post refers to the first step of the original post.

Yes I figured, that's why I was letting you know that he did it correctly (as far as I can tell) in his final step

(so his first step was possibly a typo or something)

v = [itex]\sqrt{(m_{2}g4 - 0.1m_{1}g4cos30 - m_{1}g4sin30)/(m_{1}/2 + m_{2}/2 + m_{p}/4)}[/itex]

as Nathanael said.

Hi, thanks for your help. I just noticed that I didnt consider the Y-axis movement for m1 to be different from the one of m2. I didn't define PEgrav because I'm just looking for the change in energy, the problem isn't very specific on that one.

However, now I'm getting 5.3 m/s as the result of the above given equation. Can you confirm? Thank you again.

jsrev said:
Hi, thanks for your help. I just noticed that I didnt consider the Y-axis movement for m1 to be different from the one of m2. I didn't define PEgrav because I'm just looking for the change in energy, the problem isn't very specific on that one.

However, now I'm getting 5.3 m/s as the result of the above given equation. Can you confirm? Thank you again.

I get 5.4 m/s

Did you take care of the sin\cos problem in the frictional term?

Or perhaps you simply forgot to round up to 5.4? (It was 5.38)

I got 5.34 actually, I'll check out the calculations. Thanks for the help!

post later, forgot the friction

Last edited:
a)
Initial energy = 0
c + b)
A = incline angle = 30 °
g = 9.81 (m/s)/s
r = pulley radius = 0.15 metres
M = pulley mass = 0.5 kg
M1 = 8 kg
M2 = 12 kg
µ = M1 kinetic friction co-efficient = 0.1

Pulley wheel moment of inertia (i) = ½ * m * r ² = 0.005625 kg – m ²

Calculate the net force on the system :
f1 = gravitational force created by M2 = M2 * g = 117.72 N
f2 = gravitational force created by M1 = M1 * g * sine A = 39.24 N
f3 = friction force of block M1 = M1 * g * cosine A * µ = 6.7966 N

The (net) force driving the system = f1 – ( f2 + f3 ) = 71.6834 N

Equivalent mass of the pulley = 0.25 kg

Total equivalent system mass = 8 + 12 + 0.25 = 20.25 kg

System acceleration (a) :
a = net force / total equivalent mass
a = 71.6834 / 20.25
a = 3.8756 ( m / s ) / s

Block velocity (v) after 4 m :
v = square root ( u ² + ( 2 * a * s ) )
v = square root ( 2 * 3.8756 * 4 )
v = 5.3216 m/s (ANSWER c)

Final system KE :
KE (M1) = ½ * M1 * v ²
= 113.2775 Joules
KE (m2) = ½ * M2 * v ²
= 169.9163 Joules
KE pulley wheel = ½ * i * ( ( v / r ) ² )
= 3.5399 Joules

Total system final energy :
= 113.2775 + 169.9163 + 3.5399
= 286.7337 Joules (ANSWER b)

You can check answer b by subtracting (the PE gained by M2 + The work done by the friction force) from the PE translated by M2 :
= ( 12 * 9.81 * 4 ) - ( ( 8 * 9.81 * Sine A * 2 ) + ( f3 * 4 ) )
= 286.7337 Joules

Note : calcs done on excel, answers rounded on this reply.

1. How does a block and pulley system with mass affect rotational dynamics?

A block and pulley system with mass can affect rotational dynamics by changing the distribution of mass and the torque applied to the system. The mass of the block and the position of the pulley can affect the moment of inertia and the angular acceleration of the system.

2. What is the relationship between the mass of the block and the force applied to the pulley in rotational dynamics?

The mass of the block and the force applied to the pulley are directly proportional in rotational dynamics. This means that as the mass of the block increases, the force required to rotate the pulley will also increase.

3. How does the position of the pulley affect the rotational dynamics of a block and pulley system with mass?

The position of the pulley can affect the rotational dynamics of a block and pulley system by changing the distance between the force and the axis of rotation. This can alter the torque and angular acceleration of the system.

4. What is the significance of friction in a block and pulley system with mass in rotational dynamics?

Friction plays a significant role in a block and pulley system with mass in rotational dynamics. It can cause a decrease in the angular acceleration of the system and can also affect the tension in the rope or string.

5. How can the principles of rotational dynamics be applied to real-world scenarios involving block and pulley systems with mass?

The principles of rotational dynamics can be applied to many real-world scenarios, such as cranes, elevators, and even bicycle gears. By understanding the relationship between mass, force, and torque in rotational dynamics, engineers can design more efficient and effective block and pulley systems for various applications.