Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boggling result of venturi experiment

1. Jul 19, 2009 #1
    Hi! I'm boggled by the results of my experiment...maybe you can help me... I made an improvised venturi meter which I used to determine for the velocity of water flowing in a pipe. Then just to confirm my velocity value I allowed the water to just gush out of the venturi meter (disconnected on the outflowing part) then I measured the height and maximum distance of its trajectory (by the way the pipe & venturi meter set-up were horizontal) and solve for the water velocity using equations of projectile motion. The velocity computation I got using the second method was much less than the one I got using the venturi meter. I wanted to account for the head loss when I stumbled into the Darcy-Weisbach equation... can I use it to solve for the head loss in the conical portions of the venturi meter? If yes, can you help me how? If no...any idea what alternative method I can use? Thanks in advance!:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2009 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

First thing I would do is to repeat your test but instead of calculating the distance/trajectory stuff, simply allow the flow to be collected in a bucket or graduate cylinder to measure the volume. That is going to be much easier and more reliable than the previous method you chose. By your descriptions, I am doubtful about your method using projectile motion equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook