Bohr Model of the Hydrogen atom: Prove that Eo = 13.6 eV

In summary: To ehildThank You very much for your help, I appreciate it. I finally understand where I went wrong.RegardsYou are welcome.
TRE

Homework Statement

Verify that the equation of the ground state energy Eo of the Bohr atom: Eo= (2pi2e4mek2)/h2
simplifies to Eo = 13.6 eV. Show clearly how the units of the different
quantities in the equation simplify to the eV.

This is all they give. Nothing more.

Homework Equations

Eo= (2pi2e4mek2)/h2

The Attempt at a Solution

me = 9.10938291 x 10-19 Kg

k = 1.3806488 x 10-23J/K

h = 6.62606957 x 10-34J.s

1.6 x 10-19J = 1 eV

2 pi2 = 19.7392088

e4 = 6.589333674 x 10-76 C4

k2 = 1.906195527 x 10-46J2/K2

h2 = 4.390478986 x 10-67J2.s2

when you multiply the above constants together : 2pi2.e4.me.k2 = 0 which means that the whole equation is equal to zero thus Eo = 0 and clearly Eo is not equal to 0 but to 13.6 eV

Also for the units I obtain for the answer when I multiply together and then divide is (C4.Kg/(K2.s2) which is not correct and I did not see any other units for the constants we have to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
when you multiply the above constants together : 2pi2.e4.me.k2 = 0
Does that make sense mathematically:
How can you multiply a lot of non-zero numbers together and get zero?

Perhaps your calculator has rounded off?
How should you go about multiplying very small numbers - hint: exploit the scientific notation.

Sorry you feel that way ... and yes, I have done this myself. Many times.

You have clearly made a mistake in the arithmetic since it is not possible to multiply a bunch of non-zero numbers together and get zero for the answer. If it is not a matter of your calculator deciding that 10^-70 or whatever is zero, then it is something else.

GO through the calculation carefully and see which step gets you the zero.

Note: if the dimensions do not match, then the equation is wrong.

TRE said:

Homework Statement

Verify that the equation of the ground state energy Eo of the Bohr atom: Eo= (2pi2e4mek2)/h2
simplifies to Eo = 13.6 eV. Show clearly how the units of the different
quantities in the equation simplify to the eV.

Homework Equations

Eo= (2pi2e4mek2)/h2

The Attempt at a Solution

me = 9.10938291 x 10-19 Kg
there is a mistake here: me = 9.10938291 x 10-31kg.

TRE said:
[STRIKE]k = 1.3806488 x 10-23J/K[/STRIKE]

That 'k' is not the Boltzmann constant, but the constant ke in Coulomb's Law: ke=8.9875 Nm2C-2 .

TRE said:
h = 6.62606957 x 10-34J.s

e=1.6 x 10-19[STRIKE]J = 1 eV[/STRIKE]
You can not replace e with 1 eV. eV is energy, e is charge. e=1.6 x 10-19 C and 1 eV= 1.6 x 10-19 J.

When you multiply the constants, you get the energy in Joules. You have to convert it to eV-s by dividing it 1.6x 10-19 J/eV

Do not forget to set your calculator to SCI mode, to use the normal form of numbers.

ehild

Likes 1 person
To ehild

Thank You very much for your help, I appreciate it. I finally understand where I went wrong.

Regards

You are welcome.

Just a hint: when you have to calculate with very big or very small numbers, treat the exponents separately, add and subtract them.

ehild

Likes 1 person

1. What is the Bohr Model of the Hydrogen atom?

The Bohr Model is a simplified representation of the structure of the Hydrogen atom proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913. It states that the electrons in a Hydrogen atom are arranged in specific energy levels, and that these levels are quantized, meaning that only certain values are allowed.

2. How does the Bohr Model explain the energy of the Hydrogen atom?

The Bohr Model explains the energy of the Hydrogen atom by stating that the electron orbits around the nucleus in circular paths, and that the energy of the electron is related to the radius of its orbit. The closer an electron is to the nucleus, the lower its energy level and the further away it is, the higher its energy level.

3. What is the significance of the value "13.6 eV" in the Bohr Model?

The value of "13.6 eV" is the energy of the electron in the first energy level or "ground state" of the Hydrogen atom. This value is also known as the Rydberg constant, and it represents the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the atom.

4. How is the value "13.6 eV" derived in the Bohr Model?

The value of "13.6 eV" is derived from the equation E = -13.6 eV/n^2, where E represents the energy of the electron, n represents the energy level, and the negative sign indicates that the energy is bound to the nucleus. Plugging in n = 1 for the first energy level gives us E = -13.6 eV, which is the energy of the electron in the ground state.

5. Can the value "13.6 eV" be used to calculate the energy of electrons in other atoms?

No, the value "13.6 eV" only applies to the Hydrogen atom. For other atoms, the energy levels and energies of the electrons are different and must be calculated using their respective atomic structures and equations.