Bond Dissociation Energies (BDE) help, please

In summary, the conversation was about a student struggling with a lab report for their general chemistry class and needing help with calculating the net energy of a combustion reaction. The student was also seeking assistance in understanding how to use bond dissociation energies to calculate enthalpy of the reaction. A link was provided as a resource for further understanding.
FlipStyle1308
Well, I'm working on a lab report for my general chemistry class, and we're supposed to answer questions on bond dissociation energies, but we never even discussed that during the lecture. I cannot find any information on it in my textbook, and I am really lost on how to answer these questions. Basically, I have the combustion of a triglyceride with oxygen, and I have to calculate:

a. the net energy absorbed or released (kJ), per mole of triglyceride
b. the net energy absorbed or released (kJ), per gram of triglyceride (C57H104O6 885.4 g/mol)
c. the net energy absorbed or released (Cal), per gram of Triglyceride (1 Cal = 4.184 kJ)

If anyone is able to help me solve these, please let me know! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to calculate the enthalpy of the reaction from bond dissociation energies?

Here's a hint. Breaking bonds requires energy, while making bonds releases energy

This link should help you.
http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/c120/heatreac.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
siddharth said:
Do you know how to calculate the enthalpy of the reaction from bond dissociation energies?

Here's a hint. Breaking bonds requires energy, while making bonds releases energy

This link should help you.
http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/c120/heatreac.html"

Okay, I'm reading this, but I am completely lost. I haven't heard about BDE until yesterday. Would you be able to explain more?

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a bond dissociation energy (BDE)?

A bond dissociation energy (BDE) is the amount of energy required to break a chemical bond and separate the atoms involved.

Why is bond dissociation energy important?

BDE is important because it can help predict how stable a molecule or compound is and how likely it is to undergo chemical reactions. It is also used in industries such as pharmaceuticals and materials science to understand and control chemical reactions.

How is bond dissociation energy measured?

BDE is measured experimentally using techniques such as calorimetry, spectroscopy, and mass spectrometry. The energy required to break a bond is usually reported in kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol).

What factors affect bond dissociation energy?

The strength of a bond is affected by factors such as bond type, bond length, and the electronegativity of the atoms involved. Generally, shorter and stronger bonds have higher BDEs. The type of atoms involved in the bond also plays a role, with bonds between two atoms of the same element being stronger than those between different elements.

How can bond dissociation energy calculations be used?

BDE calculations can be used to determine the relative stability of different molecules and to predict the outcomes of chemical reactions. They can also assist in the design and development of new materials with specific properties based on their BDE values. However, it is important to note that BDE calculations are estimates and may not always accurately reflect the actual energy required to break a bond in a real-world situation.