Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Bond Dissociation Energies (BDE) help, please!

1. Apr 26, 2006 #1
    Well, I'm working on a lab report for my general chemistry class, and we're supposed to answer questions on bond dissociation energies, but we never even discussed that during the lecture. I cannot find any information on it in my textbook, and I am really lost on how to answer these questions. Basically, I have the combustion of a triglyceride with oxygen, and I have to calculate:

a. the net energy absorbed or released (kJ), per mole of triglyceride
    b. the net energy absorbed or released (kJ), per gram of triglyceride (C57H104O6 885.4 g/mol)
    c. the net energy absorbed or released (Cal), per gram of Triglyceride (1 Cal = 4.184 kJ)

If anyone is able to help me solve these, please let me know! Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2006 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know how to calculate the enthalpy of the reaction from bond dissociation energies?

Here's a hint. Breaking bonds requires energy, while making bonds releases energy

This link should help you.
    http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/c120/heatreac.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  4. Apr 26, 2006 #3
    Okay, I'm reading this, but I am completely lost. I haven't heard about BDE until yesterday. Would you be able to explain more?

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook