Book on Differential Geometry/Topology with applications

In summary: Finally, I wish to stress that knowing all this math I'm about to suggest is not necessary if your only goal is to learn GR. If you're interested in the mathematics behind it though, or if you wish to understand stuff more rigorously, then math books seem your best bet.
Joker93
Hello!
I want to learn about the mathematics of General Relativity, about Topology and Differential Geometry in general. I am looking for a book that has applications in physics. But, most importantly, i want a book that offers geometrical intuition(graphs and illustrations are a huge plus) but does not shy away from the mathematics. Keep in mind that it should start from zero as i have no knowledge of these stuff.
Somebody told me to look for Nakahara's book but i found that it does not explain anything really properly. Also, i was told to check out Frankel's "Geometry in physics" and at a first glimpse i found it really good but i did not have the time to properly study from it.
If somebody could suggest a good book that has the stuff that i want and if somebody could tell me if Frankel's book is a good(great?) book, i would really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one?

Adam Landos said:
No one?

That's because the books by Nakahara, Frankel and Hassani are exactly the books you're looking for in your OP. If you think those books don't explain the stuff properly, then I'm afraid you'll have to look at pure mathematics books. But it doesn't seem from your post like you want those...

micromass said:
That's because the books by Nakahara, Frankel and Hassani are exactly the books you're looking for in your OP. If you think those books don't explain the stuff properly, then I'm afraid you'll have to look at pure mathematics books. But it doesn't seem from your post like you want those...
I like Frankel's book, but i just asked just in case there is any other hidden gem out there.
In your opinion, which is the best and worst of the three?

Adam Landos said:
I like Frankel's book, but i just asked just in case there is any other hidden gem out there.
In your opinion, which is the best and worst of the three?

Frankly, I dislike all three. But I'm a pure mathematician, so you should probably want to ignore my opinion.

micromass said:
Frankly, I dislike all three. But I'm a pure mathematician, so you should probably want to ignore my opinion.
haha! On the contrary, i think that a pure mathematician in a physics forum would be ideal!
What would you suggest? Keep in mind that i would want a book that also offers geometrical intuition so i can understand what everything means.

Adam Landos said:
haha! On the contrary, i think that a pure mathematician in a physics forum would be ideal!
What would you suggest? Keep in mind that i would want a book that also offers geometrical intuition so i can understand what everything means.

I understand. Geometrical intuition is crucial of course. It would be very silly to read a math book without trying to understand what everything means geometrically.

The thing is that mathematics is an entire building built on certain foundations. These foundations are usually what provides the intuition for the more abstract concepts. So the notions of manifolds or topological spaces are abstractions and are directly motivated by what they are supposed to abstract.

I am of course completely willing to offer you a pathway through various math books. But the only way to properly do it is to start with the very foundations and go from there. So if you're willing to go this route, you need to tell me what math you are comfortable with and what not so much. It would help even more if you would link me books or texts that you feel understand well.

Finally, I wish to stress that knowing all this math I'm about to suggest is not necessary if your only goal is to learn GR. If you're interested in the mathematics behind it though, or if you wish to understand stuff more rigorously, then math books seem your best bet.

micromass said:
I understand. Geometrical intuition is crucial of course. It would be very silly to read a math book without trying to understand what everything means geometrically.

The thing is that mathematics is an entire building built on certain foundations. These foundations are usually what provides the intuition for the more abstract concepts. So the notions of manifolds or topological spaces are abstractions and are directly motivated by what they are supposed to abstract.

I am of course completely willing to offer you a pathway through various math books. But the only way to properly do it is to start with the very foundations and go from there. So if you're willing to go this route, you need to tell me what math you are comfortable with and what not so much. It would help even more if you would link me books or texts that you feel understand well.

Finally, I wish to stress that knowing all this math I'm about to suggest is not necessary if your only goal is to learn GR. If you're interested in the mathematics behind it though, or if you wish to understand stuff more rigorously, then math books seem your best bet.

I wish to fully understand the mathematics behind physics. FULLY. If that is the rigorous way or the "physics" way, so be it.

I am comfortable with single-variable calculus, calculus of variations, complex analysis, linear algebra, Fourier analysis, differential equations(just the way to solve them and i already forgot half of the solutions that do not creep up often), i know a bit of multivariable calculus(although i will be taking a course shortly) and a bit of partial differential equations. Keep in mind that i am comfortable with these as they are being taught to physicists. My courses where not even remotely close to being rigorous(apart from linear algebra and calculus which where a little rigorous).

Please, do suggest any books that you want, either pure mathematics books or applied mathematics books. Just state in which field of mathematics each book goes into(applied or pure).

Thanks!

Likes Joker93

1. What is the difference between differential geometry and topology?

Differential geometry studies the properties of smooth surfaces and curves, while topology studies the properties of shapes that can be deformed without tearing or gluing. Differential geometry uses tools from calculus, while topology is more abstract and relies on concepts like continuity and connectivity.

2. What are some real-world applications of differential geometry and topology?

Differential geometry has applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics, where it is used to model and analyze curved surfaces and objects. Topology is used in fields such as biology, chemistry, and economics to study patterns and structures in complex systems.

3. How does differential geometry relate to the theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity is based on the concept of spacetime, which can be described mathematically using differential geometry. The theory of relativity uses the tools and concepts of differential geometry to study the curvature of spacetime and its effects on the behavior of matter and energy.

4. What are some important theorems in differential geometry and topology?

Some important theorems in differential geometry include the Gauss-Bonnet theorem, which relates the curvature of a surface to its topology, and the fundamental theorem of calculus for line integrals, which provides a way to calculate the work done by a vector field along a curve. In topology, the Brouwer fixed point theorem and the Poincaré conjecture are significant results.

5. How can one use differential geometry and topology to study the shape of the universe?

Differential geometry and topology are essential tools for understanding the structure of the universe. By studying the curvature and topology of space, physicists and cosmologists can make predictions about the behavior of the universe and test theories such as the Big Bang and inflation. Techniques from topology, such as homotopy and homology, are also used to classify the possible shapes of the universe.