Books for Aerodynamics & Flight basics

In summary: If you are completely lost and don't know where to start, I would recommend either "Introduction to Flight" by Anderson or "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators" by Foege. Both are excellent books and have very little mathematics in them. I would also recommend reading through some of the more advanced texts such as "Fundamentals of Aerodynamics" by Anderson, but that is more advanced and requires some mathematical knowledge.
Nikhil05
Hi, I am currently completing undergraduate studies in electronics & aiming to pursue MS Aerospace from US.
Can anybody please tell about good books for Aerodynamics & Flight which cover the basics for someone without a fluid dynamics background ? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Introduction to Flight" by Anderson would be a good start for someone with no background.

boneh3ad said:
"Introduction to Flight" by Anderson would be a good start for someone with no background.

Do I need to study flight before moving on to aerodynamics or is flight a prerequisite for studying aerodynamics ?

What? Well where does your knowledge fall now? Just Google the book and see what it covers. If it seems too basic, move on to "Fundamentals of Aerodynamics" by Anderson.

boneh3ad said:
What? Well where does your knowledge fall now? Just Google the book and see what it covers. If it seems too basic, move on to "Fundamentals of Aerodynamics" by Anderson.

My knowledge is at the absolute zero level. I know nothing about aerofoils, propulsion & various topics.

Introduction to flight is used at the sophomore level of an aerospace degree. It covers basic concepts in aerodynamics suitable for someone who has had calculus, but likely hasn't mastered its application. Fundamentals of aerodynamics is used at the junior level and was used (for me, and the Author is professor emeritus at the school I went to) for both aerodynamics 1 which was taught to all AE juniors and aero 2 which was only taught to the 'planes track' students. There is some overlap between the books, but if you know nothing, I would suggest you start with "Flight"

enigma said:
Introduction to flight is used at the sophomore level of an aerospace degree. It covers basic concepts in aerodynamics suitable for someone who has had calculus, but likely hasn't mastered its application. Fundamentals of aerodynamics is used at the junior level and was used (for me, and the Author is professor emeritus at the school I went to) for both aerodynamics 1 which was taught to all AE juniors and aero 2 which was only taught to the 'planes track' students. There is some overlap between the books, but if you know nothing, I would suggest you start with "Flight"

Thanks

a must read before studying deep into aerospace are two books which i found to be very useful

Introduction to flight by A C Kermode
Aerodynamics for naval aviators

these two are excellent books without any mathematics

with maths and lots of theory
introduction to flight by anderson
aerodynamics by L J Clancy
aircraft performance by anderson

I second the recommendation of Andersons Introduction to Flight.

It covers the basics of aerodynamics and flight principles in an easy to grasp way and offers more complex thoughts if you want them, but in a way as not to confuse. Highly recommended.

1. What are the best books for learning about aerodynamics and flight basics?

Some popular books on aerodynamics and flight basics include "Introduction to Flight" by John D. Anderson Jr., "Fundamentals of Aerodynamics" by John D. Anderson Jr., "Aerodynamics for Engineers" by John J. Bertin and Russell M. Cummings, "Aerodynamics for Aviators" by Mark Dusenbury and Gary Ullrich, and "Principles of Flight for Pilots" by Peter J. Swatton. It ultimately depends on your level of understanding and specific interests.

2. Are there any online resources for learning about aerodynamics and flight basics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about aerodynamics and flight basics. Some popular ones include NASA's Beginner's Guide to Aerodynamics, Khan Academy's Physics of Flight course, and the Federal Aviation Administration's Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge.

3. What topics are typically covered in books on aerodynamics and flight basics?

Books on aerodynamics and flight basics typically cover topics such as the principles of flight, aerodynamic forces and moments, lift and drag, flight instruments and controls, aircraft performance, and stability and control. Some may also delve into advanced topics such as supersonic and hypersonic flight, aircraft design, and computational fluid dynamics.

4. Can these books be helpful for non-scientists or non-engineers?

Yes, these books can be helpful for non-scientists or non-engineers who are interested in learning about aerodynamics and flight basics. Many of these books are written in a way that is easy to understand for those without a technical background, and they can provide a solid foundation for further learning.

5. Are there any hands-on activities or experiments included in these books?

Some books on aerodynamics and flight basics may include hands-on activities or experiments, especially those geared towards younger readers or beginners. However, most books focus on the theoretical and mathematical aspects of aerodynamics and flight, and hands-on activities may be limited. It is best to check the table of contents or reviews to see if a book includes any hands-on components.