Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Born repulsion

1. Apr 12, 2008 #1

I am curious about born repulsion of atoms, ie short range repulsion energy term proportional to 1/r^n. I find this in many solid state type books and they all call it the born repulsion and give no hints to its derivation or where it comes from. In _Atomic Physics_ 6th ed. by Max Born, I find "a law of the form b/r^n has been tried with good success..." in chap. IX but gives no hints to the origin of this form. Is anyone aware of a reference where the theory behind this form is described? Perhaps it is even in _Atomic Physics_ but my browsing has not found it yet.

Thank you,
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2008 #2
    There is no theory --- it is purely a functional form for a short-range repulsion that is convenient. It turns out that usually the exact form of the interaction does not matter, so one just picks something which makes the algebra simpler.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?