1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brackett Series - Excel sheet

1. Feb 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to produce a simple Excel sheet to calculate the wavelengths of H atom transitions and calculate, in nm, the first 4 lines of the Brackett series.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attempt at Excel sheet attached.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

There is so much wrong here, I don't know where to start! You need to read up about using formulas in Excel.

For one thing, there are no "variables", but rather cell addresses. For example, to use the value of R, which you put in cell C2, you need to reference it with $C$2 (the dollar signs mean that neither C nor 2 will change when you copy the cell, it is an absolute address). Another example, in G4, to use the value of n, you reference $E4. There is no dollar sign in front of the 4 because you want the formula in G5 to read $E5 instead.

Also, why do you take n0 as 5? Why do you have a n-1 in the formula?

4. Feb 25, 2014 #3
    n0 should be 4.

I used n-1 in the formula to represent n' as in the Rydberg formula. n' being 1 less than n.

5. Feb 25, 2014 #4
    But isn't n' a fixed value? looking at the table in bottom right.. n' = 4 doesn't change does it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted