Plot Bremsstrahlung Energy Spectra - Formula & Tips

In summary, people spend entire professional careers calculating detailed x-ray emission spectra for different kinds of experiments.
ne_237
Hi all
How can I plot bremsstrahlung energy spectra?What is the formula for this topic?
Pleas help me!
thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Plot what vs. what? There are lots of things you could plot - total integrated power, spectrally resolved power, atomic number, energy, wavelength, temperature...

The exact shape of the spectrum as well as the intensity in any given configuration of the source/absorber is very difficult to calculate. It's easier measuring it. However, there are estimates for the fraction of the incident energy thatis converted into photons:

fraction=3.5x10-4ZE

where Z is the atomic number of the absorber and E is the maximum beta energy.

One usually plots spectral density of the intensity vs. wavelength. However, if you try to plot it vs. frequency, you might find some interesting reslut. Make sure you use the transformation for the Jacobian as well:
[tex]
I_{\lambda}(\lambda) \, |d\lambda| = I_{\nu}(\nu) \, |d\nu|, \; \lambda = c/\nu
[/tex]

[tex]
I_{\nu}(\nu) = I_{\lambda}\left(\frac{c}{\nu}\right) \, \left|\frac{d \lambda}{d \nu}\right| = \frac{c}{\nu^{2}} \, I_{\lambda}\left(\frac{c}{\nu}\right)
[/tex]

I suggest you take several points from an experimental spectrum, change the ordinate and use the above Jacobian transformation and plot it.

Thanks for all's replays
I want to plot intensity of the produced x-ray energy in bremsstrahlumg reaction with different targets (for example tungsten) so that the peaks (k and L shell) are shown.

But, peaks are not bremsstrahlung. They are what is called characteristic lines.

Dickfore said:
But, peaks are not bremsstrahlung. They are what is called characteristic lines.

Ok.That's right. But is there any formula for obtain this spectra?

ne_237 said:
Ok.That's right. But is there any formula for obtain this spectra?

I think you're in way over your head and have an enormous amount of reading to do. People spend entire professional careers calculating detailed x-ray emission spectra for different kinds of experiments, and you haven't even broadly specified what the experiment is, never mind all the details that matter. If you just want spectra, dig around in the literature for an experiment similar to whatever it is you have in mind - electron impact, cold/warm target, thick/thin target, laser heating, pulse power, commercial x-ray tube, etc.

Dickfore said:
One usually plots spectral density of the intensity vs. wavelength. However, if you try to plot it vs. frequency, you might find some interesting reslut. Make sure you use the transformation for the Jacobian as well:
[tex]
I_{\lambda}(\lambda) \, |d\lambda| = I_{\nu}(\nu) \, |d\nu|, \; \lambda = c/\nu
[/tex]

[tex]
I_{\nu}(\nu) = I_{\lambda}\left(\frac{c}{\nu}\right) \, \left|\frac{d \lambda}{d \nu}\right| = \frac{c}{\nu^{2}} \, I_{\lambda}\left(\frac{c}{\nu}\right)
[/tex]

I suggest you take several points from an experimental spectrum, change the ordinate and use the above Jacobian transformation and plot it.

where I can give experimental data of this spectra?Can you help me and introduce some sites?
Thanks

1. What is Plot Bremsstrahlung Energy Spectra?

Plot Bremsstrahlung Energy Spectra is a type of energy spectrum that describes the distribution of energy emitted by a charged particle as it decelerates in an electric field. This phenomenon is known as bremsstrahlung radiation and is commonly observed in high-energy particle interactions.

2. How is the Plot Bremsstrahlung Energy Spectra formula derived?

The formula for Plot Bremsstrahlung Energy Spectra is derived from the classical theory of radiation and the quantum theory of radiation. It takes into account the energy of the charged particle, the strength of the electric field, and the angle at which the radiation is emitted.

3. What are some tips for plotting Bremsstrahlung Energy Spectra?

When plotting Bremsstrahlung Energy Spectra, it is important to use a logarithmic scale for both the x-axis (energy) and the y-axis (intensity). This will allow for a better visualization of the data and make it easier to identify any patterns or trends. It is also helpful to plot multiple spectra on the same graph to compare and contrast different scenarios.

4. How does the thickness of the target material affect the Bremsstrahlung Energy Spectra?

The thickness of the target material can significantly affect the Bremsstrahlung Energy Spectra. Thicker targets will result in a broader spectrum, as more interactions between the charged particle and target material will occur. Thinner targets, on the other hand, will result in a sharper spectrum with a higher peak intensity.

5. What are some real-world applications of Plot Bremsstrahlung Energy Spectra?

Plot Bremsstrahlung Energy Spectra has many practical applications, such as in medical imaging techniques like X-ray radiography and computed tomography (CT) scans. It is also used in particle accelerators to study high-energy interactions and in nuclear power plants to monitor radioactive decay. Additionally, it is used in astronomy to study the radiation emitted by celestial bodies.