1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bremsstrahlung spectra

1. Aug 29, 2011 #1
    Hi all
    How can I plot bremsstrahlung energy spectra?What is the formula for this topic?
    Pleas help me!
    thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2011 #2
    Plot what vs. what? There are lots of things you could plot - total integrated power, spectrally resolved power, atomic number, energy, wavelength, temperature...

4. Aug 29, 2011 #3
    The exact shape of the spectrum as well as the intensity in any given configuration of the source/absorber is very difficult to calculate. It's easier measuring it. However, there are estimates for the fraction of the incident energy thatis converted into photons:

fraction=3.5x10-4ZE

where Z is the atomic number of the absorber and E is the maximum beta energy.

5. Aug 29, 2011 #4
    One usually plots spectral density of the intensity vs. wavelength. However, if you try to plot it vs. frequency, you might find some interesting reslut. Make sure you use the transformation for the Jacobian as well:
    [tex]
    I_{\lambda}(\lambda) \, |d\lambda| = I_{\nu}(\nu) \, |d\nu|, \; \lambda = c/\nu
    [/tex]

[tex]
    I_{\nu}(\nu) = I_{\lambda}\left(\frac{c}{\nu}\right) \, \left|\frac{d \lambda}{d \nu}\right| = \frac{c}{\nu^{2}} \, I_{\lambda}\left(\frac{c}{\nu}\right)
    [/tex]

I suggest you take several points from an experimental spectrum, change the ordinate and use the above Jacobian transformation and plot it.

6. Aug 30, 2011 #5
    Thanks for all's replays
    I want to plot intensity of the produced x-ray energy in bremsstrahlumg reaction with different targets (for example tungsten) so that the peaks (k and L shell) are shown.

7. Aug 30, 2011 #6
    But, peaks are not bremsstrahlung. They are what is called characteristic lines.

8. Aug 30, 2011 #7
    Ok.That's right. But is there any formula for obtain this spectra?

9. Aug 30, 2011 #8
    I think you're in way over your head and have an enormous amount of reading to do. People spend entire professional careers calculating detailed x-ray emission spectra for different kinds of experiments, and you haven't even broadly specified what the experiment is, never mind all the details that matter. If you just want spectra, dig around in the literature for an experiment similar to whatever it is you have in mind - electron impact, cold/warm target, thick/thin target, laser heating, pulse power, commercial x-ray tube, etc.

10. Aug 30, 2011 #9
    where I can give experimental data of this spectra?Can you help me and introduce some sites?
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook