Brush DC Motor Science Project HELP

In summary, the person was trying to build a brushed DC motor, but had trouble because of the high resistance. They found a solution by cutting the copper sheet into fingers, which made the resistance lower.
BizzPhizz
So I have a Gr 11 Physics Science project. I need to build a Brushed DC motor.

I already build an armature with coils. I have a copper commutator and copper are connected to it. Lastly, I placed electric tape on the wood body

The problem is that I don't know how to make an effective Brush Motor. I tried sheering a copper wire and using the end of it as a brush, but it had too much resistance.

I also tried 2 copper sheets but that had even more resistance. Someone please help!

Pictures:
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1546/img20130118181038.jpg

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/958/img20130118181032.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I take it the copper track does not go all the way around... it's broken in two places right?

You want anything with a good electrical contact - I've used copper-wire with the insulation stripped from the ends - bent so they are held tightly against (in your case) the copper track by spring force ... use the sides of the ends of the wire rather than the tips, and use an abrasive to make the sides shiny. Try holding the wires so the "brush" ends press hard against the track.

If you hit the end of thick wire with a hammer you can flatten it out - or you can use a braided copper wire and frey the ends out in a literal brush.

Use a higher voltage power source. It not a very efficient solution, but it doesn't look like maximum efficiency is really one of your objectives ;-)

If you can use some manufactured parts maybe you could just take an old synchronous motor (the one with commutator and windings on the rotor part as well) and use the brushes from that motor on your copper two side commutator. That would be better , safer and easier then trying to stick two naked wires to a copper commutator , as I believe the wires would scratch and destroy your commutator pretty fast also the brushes would have better electrical contact and more reliable operation.
Also the brushes from commercial motors have springs inside them which push them close for better contact.
Yes Simon asked that one is important are your commutator really electrically insulated the two parts as to each parts goes to it's winding.

Sorry if you already know this but sometimes pointing out the simple things helps to not forget about them.

Thanks for the advice, Ill keep at it!

Last edited:
BizzPhizz said:
I also tried 2 copper sheets but that had even more resistance. Someone please help!

Use the copper sheet, but get some scissors and cut the end into about 10 or 15 fingers, each about 1/2 inch long.

The reason the copper sheet had high resistance is because it is probably only making contact is one spot. They are called "brushes" for a reason. The idea is to make sure there are lots of points of contact.

Perhaps try making brushes from the braided outer screen of a coax cable?

Just make sure that each brush leaves off contacting one half of the commutator before it makes contact with the other half of the commutator.
Otherwise, your machine's efficiency will nosedive.
N3OrO.gif

Thanks to all of you!

It works now!

Here's the link!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Brush DC Motor?

A Brush DC Motor is a type of electric motor that operates using direct current (DC) electricity. It consists of a stator (stationary part) and a rotor (moving part), with brushes and a commutator connecting the two to allow for the flow of current and the rotation of the rotor.

2. How does a Brush DC Motor work?

A Brush DC Motor works by using the interaction between the permanent magnets in the stator and the electro-magnets in the rotor to create rotational motion. The brushes and commutator help to reverse the direction of current flow in the electro-magnets, causing the rotor to continuously rotate.

3. What materials are needed to build a Brush DC Motor for a science project?

The materials needed for a Brush DC Motor science project may include a battery, copper wire, a magnet, a wooden base, a small piece of cardboard, a metal rod, and some basic tools such as pliers and a wire cutter.

4. What are the steps to building a Brush DC Motor for a science project?

The steps for building a Brush DC Motor for a science project may include constructing the base and supports, creating the rotor and electro-magnets, attaching the brushes and commutator, and connecting the motor to a power source. It is important to follow a detailed guide or tutorial for specific instructions.

5. What are some tips for a successful Brush DC Motor science project?

Some tips for a successful Brush DC Motor science project may include carefully following instructions, using high-quality materials, testing and adjusting the motor as needed, and making observations and notes throughout the process. It can also be helpful to research and understand the principles behind how the motor works.