Buck Converter High-Side Switch

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in SMPS power supplies and their goal to define a high-side switch control mechanism for a prototype circuit using a uController. They mention using simulation and a voltage divider to control the gate of a P-Channel mosfet, but question its viability and ask for recommendations for a high side gate driver. They also mention a new solution that eliminates the need for a P-Channel mosfet.
Fish4Fun
As a hobbyist I have had an interest in SMPS power supplies for quite some time, but have never gone past casual study of them. I understand the theory, but have difficulty with the actual implementation of things like a high-side switch mechanism for a P-Channel Mosfet.

My goal is to define a high-side switch control mechanism that will allow me to use a uController in a prototype circuit. I want to be able to use various inductors and Mosfets at different switching frequencies and duty cycles w/o designing a specific high-side switch control.

This is what I am thinking:

BuckConverter.jpg

In simulation, it works well enough. @ 170Vdc the gate of Q3 varies between 170V and 155V. The Specs on the mosfet state that full turn-off occurs @ Vgs = -10V and Vgs can handle constant +/-20V and transient Vgs of +/-30V.

Q2 can be a fairly low voltage switch as most of the voltage is dropped by D3. The current through Q2 is fairly small, ~1.47mA. Obviously lower total resistance in the voltage divider formed by R1 & R6 will supply higher current, and thus a better switching waveform to the gate of Q3.

My question is, will the Zener/voltage divider form a viable way of switching a P-Channel mosfet? If not, is there a simple way of controlling the Gate of the P-Channel mosfet (Q3)?

Thanks in advance!

Fish

Engineering news on Phys.org
Things have come a long way since the last time I tried to solve this problem. It appears the best answer is something like this:

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FA%2FFAN73711.pdf

Which precludes needing to use a P-Channel mosfet altogether, very cool.

So, since I missed the "High Side Gate Driver IC Revolution", can anyone one recommend a particular High Side Gate Driver wrt simplicity and flexibility of design. (Again, my objective is to create a test platform where I can quickly change out switches, inductors and output filters to prototype various current/voltage regulated supplies.)

Thanks,

Fish

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Buck Converter High-Side Switch?

A Buck Converter High-Side Switch is a type of electronic switch used in DC-DC power converters. It is responsible for controlling the flow of current from the input voltage source to the output load. It is commonly used in applications where the input voltage is higher than the required output voltage.

2. How does a Buck Converter High-Side Switch work?

The High-Side Switch uses a MOSFET (metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor) to switch the current on and off. The MOSFET is turned on and off rapidly, converting the input voltage into a series of pulses. These pulses are then filtered and smoothed to create a stable output voltage.

3. What are the advantages of using a Buck Converter High-Side Switch?

One of the main advantages of using a Buck Converter High-Side Switch is its efficiency. It can convert high input voltages to lower output voltages with minimal energy loss. It also has a compact design, making it suitable for use in small electronic devices. Additionally, it has a fast response time and can handle high currents.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of a Buck Converter High-Side Switch?

One potential drawback of a Buck Converter High-Side Switch is its complexity. It requires careful design and precise control to ensure proper functioning. It may also generate high levels of electromagnetic interference (EMI) and require additional components for EMI filtering. Additionally, it may produce high voltage spikes that can damage sensitive electronic components.

5. What are the common applications of a Buck Converter High-Side Switch?

Buck Converter High-Side Switches are commonly used in electronic devices that require a stable and efficient power supply, such as laptops, smartphones, and portable electronic devices. They are also used in automotive electronics, power supplies, and industrial control systems.