Buckingham Pi Theory: Propeller & Pipe Flow Analysis for Jay

In summary, the large truck is to transport 30,000 kg of oranges from 27oC to 4oC and the structure of the walls of the truck allows for the transfer of heat at a rate of 80 W per oC temperature difference. The truck has an estimated average heat of respiration of 0.017W/kg at 4oC, so assuming a density of air of 1.15 kg/m3, the refrigeration load of the truck is 30,000 W and the amount of ice needed is 180 kg.
jayjay112
Hi I feel I am competent enough at the Buckingham Pi theory regarding both Pipe flow and for Propeller analysis.

Derive a relationship between the volume flow rate and rotational speed of propeller in terms of the diameter of the pipe and propeller and also fluid characteristics density and viscosity of the fluid.

For a flow through a closed, circular sectioned pipe which is metered by measuring the speed of rotation of a propeller having its axis along the pipe central line.

I am unsure how to start this problem? I am able to do dimensional analysis for both individually but I don't understand how to combine the two.

Can someone please suggest how to start?For Propeller the variables I have are: (d, u, p N, U)
d = diameter
u = viscosity
p = rho density
N = revolutions per s
U = advance speed

For Pipe: (delta P, V, D, e, v, p)
delta P = change in pressure
V = speed of flow
D = pipe diameter
e = roughness
v = viscosity
p = rho density
I really appreciate the help.
Jay

Engineering news on Phys.org
A large truck is to transport 30,000 Kg of orange pre-cooled to 4oC under average temperature of 27oC. The structure of the walls of the truck is such that the rate of heat transportation is UA=80W per oC temperature difference between the ambient and the oranges. From past experience, ambient air is estimated to enter the cargo space of the truck through the cracks at a rate of 4L/s. Also, the average heat of respiration of the oranges at 4oC is 0.017W/kg for this particular load. Disregarding any condensation and taking the density of air to be 1.15kg/m3, determine the refrigeration load of this truck and the amount of ice needed to meet the entire refrigeration need of the truck for a 15hour trip.

Can you help me on figuring out how to start this question?

1. What is Buckingham Pi Theory?

Buckingham Pi Theory, also known as dimensional analysis, is a mathematical method used to analyze physical phenomena and their relationships by creating dimensionless quantities called Pi terms.

2. How does Buckingham Pi Theory apply to propeller and pipe flow analysis?

Buckingham Pi Theory is particularly useful in analyzing complex fluid flows such as those found in propellers and pipes. By identifying the relevant variables and creating dimensionless Pi terms, the theory can help simplify the equations and provide insight into the behavior of the flow.

3. Who is Jay and why is this theory named after them?

Jay is not a specific person, but rather a placeholder name often used in scientific examples. The theory is not named after anyone in particular.

4. What are the benefits of using Buckingham Pi Theory in fluid flow analysis?

Using Buckingham Pi Theory can help simplify complex equations and reveal the underlying relationships between variables. This can lead to a better understanding of the physical phenomenon and aid in the design and optimization of systems.

5. Can Buckingham Pi Theory be applied to other fields of science?

Yes, Buckingham Pi Theory can be applied to various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and chemistry. Any system with multiple variables and complex relationships can potentially benefit from the use of this theory.