Building a Linear Algebra Structure: Solving for Coefficients

In summary, the question is asking how to construct a vector g in a vector space of functions from a given group, using a basis defined by g_i(b_j) = 1 if i = j, 0 otherwise. The next step would be to set x equal to each member of the group and solve for the coefficients a_1, a_2, a_3 in the equation g(x) = a_1g_1(x) + a_2g_2(x) + a_3g_3(x).
transgalactic
the question is in the link:
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/3830/70738563la6.gif

i know that's how i find coordinated(x,y,z) U=x*v1 +y*v2 +z+v3

but i don't know how to build this structure here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In imageshack you see a link below which is named "hotlink for forums", copy THAT link here and the picture will be directly shown in your post.

You have a groupm, B, containing three members, [itex]{b_1, b_2, b_3}[/itex] and the vector space of all functions from B to R. (you say only "group of functions" but it must be a vector space for this to make sense.) You are also given a "basis" for that vector space defined by [itex]g_i(b_j)[/itex] equals 1 if i= j, 0 otherwise. You are asked to write g, defined by [itex]g(b_1)= 1[/itex], [itex]g(b_2)= 4[/itex], [itex]g(b_3)= 5.

Okay, you must have [itex]g(x)= a_1g_1(x)+ a_2g_2(x)+ a_3g_3(x)[/itex]. Set x= [itex]b_1, b_2, b_3[/itex] to get three very simple equations to solve for [itex]a_1, a_2, a_3[/itex].

[itex]
g(b_1)= 1
g(b_2)= 4
g(b_3)= 5
g(x)= a_1g_1(x)+ a_2g_2(x)+ a_3g_3(x)
[/itex]
[itex]
x=b1,b2,b3

[/itex]

[itex]
g(b1,b2,b3)= a_1g_1(b1,b2,b3)+ a_2g_2(b1,b2,b3)+ a_3g_3(b1,b2,b3)
[/itex]

what is the next step
for constracting the equations

There is NO "[itex]g(b2, b3,b3)[/itex]! Set x equal to b1, b2, and b3 separately to get three equations.

like this?

X(1,2,0)+y(0,1,2)+z(0,0,1)=(1,2,5)

Related to Building a Linear Algebra Structure: Solving for Coefficients

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their properties. It involves the use of matrices and vectors to represent and solve systems of linear equations.

2. What are the applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has various applications in many fields, such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and machine learning. It is used to solve systems of linear equations, model and analyze linear systems, and perform transformations and projections in 3D space.

3. What are the fundamental concepts in linear algebra?

The fundamental concepts in linear algebra include matrices, vectors, systems of linear equations, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and vector spaces. These concepts are used to solve problems and analyze linear systems.

4. How is linear algebra used in machine learning?

Linear algebra is used extensively in machine learning algorithms, such as linear regression, principal component analysis, and support vector machines. It is used to represent and manipulate data, perform dimensionality reduction, and make predictions based on patterns in data.

5. What are the benefits of learning linear algebra?

Learning linear algebra can help improve critical thinking skills, as it involves logical problem-solving and abstract reasoning. It is also a fundamental tool for many fields, such as data science, finance, and engineering. Additionally, it can enhance one's ability to understand and analyze complex systems.