Buoancy / Archimedes Principle

In summary, four people each with a mass of 80.0 kg will require a raft with a density of .0800 kg/m^3 or 8 logs.
linemanpete
I have run into a problem and am completely stumped after. Help me before i pull my hair out.
What is the smallest number of whole logs (p (density) 725 kgm^-3) r= .0800m l=3.00m that can be used to build a raft that will carry four people each with a mass of 80.0 kg.

so using (pi*r^2*l)*725 i found the mass of each log to be 43.7 kg
BUt beyond this i run into huge headaches by trying to derive something that can include X # of 43.7 kg logs in relation to bouyant force and Weight

please help

Physics news on Phys.org
The buoyant force on the logs is the weight of the water they displace and the condition of minimum buoyancy will be met if the logs are just completely sumberged with the passengers just at the surface of the water. All you have to do is balance all the forces (weight of the logs + passengers against the buoyant force).

Find the force generated by the 4 people on the raft, as well as the net force per log. That should set you on the right course.

I have some questions about this problem too. Okay, I've got that:
Force of buoyancy = Weight (of logs) + Weight (of load/people)

Since each person's mass was 80.0 kg and there are 4 people, I went
Weight (load) = (80.0kg) x (4) x (9.81m/s^2) = 3139.2 N (Force of the load)

and the force of each log is
(density of log) x (volume of log) x g = (725kg/m^3) x (pi) x (0.08m)^2 x (3m) x (9.81m/s^2)
= 429 N

But I'm not really sure what to do next...

Once you have the total force applied by the people on the raft as well as the net force created by each log (the difference between mg and the bouyant force), you need to find the number of logs that will make the force applied by the people + the net force of all the logs = 0

F(p) = force created by passengers
F(l) = net force created by each log
F(p) + n*F(l) = 0

Solve for n.

What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid (such as water) on an object that is partially or wholly submerged in it. This force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

Who discovered the principle of buoyancy?

The principle of buoyancy, also known as Archimedes' principle, was discovered by the ancient Greek mathematician and scientist Archimedes in the 3rd century BC.

How does Archimedes' principle work?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This is because when an object is placed in a fluid, it pushes aside some of the fluid and creates an upward force. This force is equal to the weight of the fluid that is displaced by the object.

What factors affect buoyancy?

The buoyant force on an object is affected by two main factors: the density of the fluid and the volume of the object. The denser the fluid, the greater the buoyant force, and the larger the volume of the object, the greater the buoyant force. Other factors that can affect buoyancy include the shape of the object and the depth of the fluid.

How is buoyancy used in everyday life?

Buoyancy is used in many aspects of everyday life, such as in swimming and boating. It is also used in engineering and construction to design and build ships and other structures that float. In addition, the principle of buoyancy is used in hot air balloons and blimps to lift them into the air.