Cahnge in potential difference of moving electron

In summary, the electron moves to a higher potential as it moves through a region of space with an electric field.
Kastner86

Homework Statement

As an electron moves through a region of space, its speed increases from 2.2e^6 m/s to 6.0e^6 m/s. The electric force is the only force acting on the electron.

a) Did the electron move to a higher potential or a lower potential?

b)Across what potential difference did the electron travel?

Homework Equations

well for part b, I'm not even sure what to use.

K = 1/2mv^2

U=q x V

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i know part a), the electron moves to a higher potential.

I really don't know how to solve this since the distance or time is not given. And I may be confused as to the difference between potential difference and electric potential. I don't know where to start!

Physics news on Phys.org
a) Electron moves in the apposite direction to the electric field. In the electric field the potential decreases along its direction. Then...?
b) The electron accelerates when it moves through lower potential to the higher potential. Hence its kinetic energy increases. Use the relevant equations and find the potential difference.

Yes, i understand the electron is accelerating. obviously, its speed increases, so its kinetic energy also increases. I understand all these concepts.

I don't know which equations to use. That is where I'm stuck. All the equations I can think of using velocity have time or distance variable, which i can't use.

The only one I know is K = 1/2mv^2

So would I do [tex]\Delta[/tex]K = 1/2mv2^2 - 1/2mv1^2

and since [tex]\Delta[/tex]K = - [tex]\Delta[/tex]UE

I can then use [tex]\Delta[/tex]V = [tex]\Delta[/tex]U/e to get the potential difference?

Is [tex]\Delta[/tex]V potential difference or just potential or electric potential?? that is one area I am confused.

Thank you

Yes. ΔV = ΔU/e. No area is involved.

This worked!

A big thanks to you. Sometimes just trying to explain the problem to someone else helps me solve it anyways.

Thanks!

FAQ: Cahnge in potential difference of moving electron

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is a measure of the force that drives the flow of electric current.

2. How does the movement of electrons affect potential difference?

The movement of electrons, or electric current, is directly related to potential difference. As the potential difference increases, the electric current also increases. This is because the higher the potential difference, the stronger the force pushing the electrons through the circuit.

3. What happens when the potential difference of moving electrons changes?

When the potential difference of moving electrons changes, the electric current also changes. If the potential difference decreases, the electric current will also decrease and vice versa. This is due to the direct relationship between potential difference and electric current.

4. How is potential difference measured in an electric circuit?

Potential difference is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the circuit. The voltmeter measures the difference in potential energy between two points in the circuit and displays it in volts.

5. What factors can affect the potential difference of moving electrons?

The potential difference of moving electrons can be affected by factors such as the resistance of the circuit, the material of the conducting wires, and the type of power source. Changes in these factors can lead to changes in the potential difference and therefore affect the flow of electric current.

Back