Spherical coordinates rewrite help

In summary, to rewrite the function f(x,y,z) as a function of spherical coordinates, the conversion x=rcos(\theta), y=rsin(\theta), and z=rcos(\varphi) is used. To rewrite the integral of f(x,y,z)dV over a region S in 3 dimensions, a change of variable is needed and the Jacobian function will be used to determine the change in dV. This question is more conceptual and does not require a specific solution to be turned in.
Jbright1406

Homework Statement

Let f(x,y,z) be a continuous function. To rewrite f(x,y,z) as a function of spherical coordinates, the conversion x-rcos([tex]\theta[/tex]), y=rsin([tex]\theta[/tex]), and z=rcos([tex]\varphi[/tex]). Suppose S is a region in 3 dimensions. How would you rewrite [tex]_{\int\int\int}s[/tex] f(x,y,z)dV as the integral of a function in terms or r,[tex]\theta[/tex], and[tex]\varphi[/tex]
Note the s by the integral should be a subscript

Homework Equations

Hint, may require a change of variable formula
3. The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to plug in the conversion of x, y, and z, but i don't think this is what is needed. I believe it is more of a conceptual question. What should i do?, I am comfortable with the integration or deriving of the stuff, but am not sure what he is actually is asking. This isn't a homework problem to turn in, but something we were supposed to look at.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know of a function called the Jacobian function? Because you will need this to find out what dV changes to.

Also I think x=rcosθsinψ y=rsinθsinψ z=rcosψ

no, I've never seen jacobian's. I know the name and have heard them mentioned, but have never seen them

It says home work, buts it on the bottom of a test review, its not something to turn in, i can post the entire test review if you don't believe me, where it says it at the top of the page

here is a copy of the problem in case i typed it wrong
qxo0gp.jpg

1. What are spherical coordinates and how are they different from cartesian coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a coordinate system used to locate a point in three-dimensional space. They are different from cartesian coordinates in that they use a radial distance, an angle from the positive z-axis, and an angle from the positive x-axis to locate a point, rather than solely using x, y, and z coordinates.

2. How do I convert from spherical coordinates to cartesian coordinates?

To convert from spherical coordinates to cartesian coordinates, you can use the following formulas:
x = r * sin(θ) * cos(φ)
y = r * sin(θ) * sin(φ)
z = r * cos(θ)
Where r is the radial distance, θ is the angle from the positive z-axis, and φ is the angle from the positive x-axis.

3. Can I convert from cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates?

Yes, you can convert from cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates using the following formulas:
r = √(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)
θ = arccos(z/r)
φ = arctan(y/x)
Note that the angles θ and φ should be in the range of 0 to 2π and 0 to π, respectively.

4. How do I rewrite an equation in spherical coordinates?

To rewrite an equation in spherical coordinates, you need to substitute the cartesian coordinates in the equation with the corresponding spherical coordinates using the conversion formulas. For example, x^2 + y^2 + z^2 can be rewritten as r^2.

5. Are there any advantages to using spherical coordinates over cartesian coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are particularly useful when dealing with problems involving spherical objects or systems, such as planets, stars, and atoms. They also simplify certain mathematical expressions and can provide a more intuitive understanding of spatial relationships. However, cartesian coordinates are often more convenient for everyday use and are better suited for certain types of calculations, such as finding distances between points.