Cal II Integration: Solve (t+7)/(5-t)^(1/2)

• Thread starter CallingAllCars7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: I just thought it was natural, because of the 1/2 power- those are the kind of substitutions that make it easy to get rid of the root.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of (t+7)/(5-t)^(1/2). The various methods attempted include substitution and integration by parts, with one providing the solution of -2t(5-t)^(1/2)- (4/3)(5-t)^(3/2)-14(5-t)^(1/2)+c.
CallingAllCars7

Homework Statement

find the following integral:

(t+7)/(5-t)^(1/2)

Homework Equations

maybe U*v'= uv-[ u'-v] or substitution

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive been trying substitution
u= (5-t)^(1/2)

t= 5-u^2
dt= -2u

((5-u^2)+7)/u )*-2u(du)

I get stuck here and I'm not even sure if I'm on the right track. I've seen the solution but I just can't get the answer. :confused: :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried integration by parts?

Rearrange it algebraically first and it becomes a doddle.

[tex]\frac{t+7}{\sqrt{5-t}} = -\frac{(5-t)-12}{\sqrt{5-t}} = -{{(5-t)}^{\frac{1}{2}} + 12{({5-t})^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

Last edited:
CallingAllCars7 said:

Homework Statement

find the following integral:

(t+7)/(5-t)^(1/2)

Homework Equations

maybe U*v'= uv-[ u'-v] or substitution

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive been trying substitution
u= (5-t)^(1/2)

t= 5-u^2
dt= -2u

((5-u^2)+7)/u )*-2u(du)

I get stuck here and I'm not even sure if I'm on the right track. I've seen the solution but I just can't get the answer. :confused: :cry:
Why would you get stuck here? 5- u2+ 7= 12- u^2 and the u in the denominator cancels the u in "-2udu". Simple algebra gives
(-23+ 2u^2)du

its just that the solution looks nothing like that :

its -2t(5-t)^(1/2)- (4/3)(5-t)^(3/2)-14(5-t)^(1/2)+c

I did also try integration by parts with another different answer.:grumpy:

Personally I would not have been clever enough to arrange it as Curious3141 did, but Thats the way I would like to have done it :)

I would have split it into 2 integrals, by splitting up the numerator. Then I would have tried t= 5 sin x, dt= 5 cos x dx on the first one, and u=5-t on the second. It gets you there, but Curious did it much better.

1. What is the purpose of integration in calculus?

The purpose of integration in calculus is to find the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is also used to solve various problems in physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is the integral of a function related to its derivative?

The integral of a function is the reverse operation of differentiation. The derivative tells us the rate of change of a function at a specific point, while the integral tells us the total change of the function over a given interval.

3. How do I solve an integration problem like (t+7)/(5-t)^(1/2)?

To solve this integration problem, you can use the substitution method by letting u = 5-t. This will change the integral into ∫(t+7)/u^(1/2) du, which can be solved using the power rule for integration. After solving, don't forget to substitute back for u to get the final answer.

4. What is the significance of the constant of integration?

The constant of integration is added to the solution of an indefinite integral. It represents all possible antiderivatives of a function, as the derivative of a constant is always 0. The constant is important because it allows us to include all possible solutions to the integration problem.

5. Can I use integration to find the average value of a function?

Yes, you can use integration to find the average value of a function over a given interval. The average value of a function is equal to the integral of the function over the interval, divided by the length of the interval. This is known as the mean value theorem for integrals.