Solve f(x) for a and b: Calc Workshop Help

• Thread starter ACLerok
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to find values for a and b that make the piecewise function continuous for all values of x. One way to approach this is by graphing the function and considering the points where the definition changes. However, it is not necessary to graph it. To ensure continuity, the left and right hand limits of the function must be equal at these points. Using this information, it can be determined that a=9 and b=-2.
ACLerok
Let f(x)=

{3x - 2, if x < 0;
{ax + b, if 0 <= x <= 1;
{3x + 4, if x > 1.
(its a piece wise function)

It's telling me to Find a and b so that f(x) is continuous for all values of x. what's the easiest way to solve this? i was told that it's easier to graph it first. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Graphing is not necessary, but trying to visualize things is never a bad thing. Consider the points where the definition of the curve changes: at x = 0 and at x = 1. For a continuous function, the left and right hand limits of the function will be the same at these points (at all points to be more accurate, but we only need to check these two points since we know there are no potential continuity problems anywhere else).

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0^+} f(x) = -2 [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0^-} f(x) = b [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 1^+} f(x) = a + b [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 1^-} f(x) = 7 [/tex]

so am i just supposed to be able to solve for a and b now?
a= 9
b= -2
is this right? or wrong?
can you please explain how you got those limit equations?

Last edited:
Yeah, that's right.

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0^+} f(x) = \lim_{x\rightarrow 0^+} 3x-2 = 3*0-2 = 0 [/tex]

and so on.

1. How do I solve f(x) for a and b?

To solve for a and b in f(x), you will need to use algebraic manipulation techniques such as substitution, elimination, or the quadratic formula. First, isolate the variables a and b on one side of the equation, and then use the appropriate technique to solve for their values.

2. What is the purpose of solving for a and b in f(x)?

Solving for a and b in f(x) allows you to find the specific values of these variables that will make the function equal to a given output value. This is essential in understanding the behavior and properties of the function, and can also be used to make predictions and solve real-world problems.

3. Can I solve for a and b using a graphing calculator?

Yes, many graphing calculators have the capability to solve for multiple variables in a function. You will need to input the function and the desired output value, and the calculator will give you the values of a and b that satisfy the equation.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving for a and b?

One common mistake when solving for a and b is forgetting to include the constant term in the equation. Make sure to double check that all terms are accounted for when setting up your equations. It's also important to check your final solutions by plugging them back into the original equation to ensure they are correct.

5. Do I always need to solve for a and b in f(x)?

No, it is not always necessary to solve for a and b in f(x). Sometimes, the function may already be in a simplified or factored form, and solving for these variables may not provide any additional insights. However, in more complex functions or when solving specific problems, finding the values of a and b can be very helpful.