1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Calculate arcsin(sin√5)

1. Aug 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate arcsin(sin√5).

2. Relevant equations

None.

3. The attempt at a solution

f(1/2) = sin(1/2)
    = π / 6

f'(x) = cosx

f'(1/2) = cos(1/2)
    = π / 3

y = π / 6 + π / 3(x - 1/2)
    = π / 3 x

f(√5) = π / 3 (√5)
    = √5π / 3

I tried using linear approximation, but didnt get the correct answer of π - √5

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: arcsin(sin√5)

arcsin(sin x) = x, PROVIDED that x is in the interval [-pi/2, pi/2]. You need to find a number x such that sin(x) = sin(sqrt(5)), where x is in [-pi/2, pi/2].

4. Aug 2, 2010 #3

TsAmE, I might add that Calculus *methods* are not appropriate for this problem (even though it might appear in a calc book/course).
    This is more about, as Mark44 has mentioned, coterminal angles and the domain of inverse trig functions.

Some people have an easier time working with degrees at first. Could you calculate
    arcsin(sin(113degrees))?

5. Aug 2, 2010 #4

you need to calculate arcsin(sin√5) ?

arcsin and sin are inverse functions of each other, thus:
    arcsin(sin(x)) = x :)

6. Aug 2, 2010 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is not true in general, and definitely not true in this case arcsin(sin([itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex])) [itex]\neq[/itex] [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex]. See post #2.

7. Aug 2, 2010 #6

yup. my mistake.

8. Aug 2, 2010 #7

eumyang

Homework Helper

I don't know how much is assumed that you know in terms of numbers, but I remember that
    [tex]\sqrt{5} \approx 2.236[/tex]

... and I remember the radian equivalent of the angles for each quadrant (for example, the angles in Q1 go from 0 to ~1.571 rad), so I could figure out what quadrant [tex]\sqrt{5}\,rad[/tex] is.

Also, it would be helpful to know one of the trig identities that deal with symmetry. (I hope that wasn't too many hints.)

9. Aug 2, 2010 #8

Use the identity sin(x) = sin([itex]\pi[/tex] - x)

10. Aug 3, 2010 #9

If that is the case then:

arcsin(sin√5) = arc(sin(π - √5)), but π - √5 is still in the 2nd quadrant which doesnt satisfy arc(sinx) = x [-π/2, π/2]. :confused:

11. Aug 3, 2010 #10

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Not quite. By intuition, [itex]\pi[/itex] is a bit more than 3 and [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex] is a bit more than 2, so [itex]\pi-\sqrt{5}[/itex] is approximately 1. But [itex]\pi/2[/itex] is a number a bit more than 3 and halved, so a bit more than 1.5. Obviously [itex]\pi-\sqrt{5}<\pi/2[/itex] so it is in the first quadrant.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook