Calculate emf and internal resistance with two circuits with the same cell

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cell connected to a 10.0 Ohm resistor and a 4.00 Ohm resistor connected in parallel. The pd across the 10.0 Ohm resistor decreases from 10.43 V to 7.87 V. The task is to calculate the emf and internal resistance of the cell. The attempt at a solution involved using Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws to solve for the current and potential drop/gain in the circuit.
koalafacey

Homework Statement

A cell is connected to a 10.0 Ohm resistor. The pd across the 10.0 Ohm resistor is 10.43 V.
A 4.00 Ohm resistor is connected in parallel with the 10.0 Ohm resistor. The pd across the 10.0 Ohm resistor falls to 7.87 V.
Calculate the emf and the internal resistance of the cell.

Homework Equations

E = V + Ir
V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to work out the total resistance in circuit 2. I got it as 2.86 Ohms. I then tried to work out the current in this circuit and got it as 2.75A. Using the information of volts, current and resistance I used Ohm's Law to try and work out the value of the internal resistor. I got it as 2.85 Ohms. However, when i used this in circuit 1 and tried to work out Emf, the two circuits did not match. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
a better way will be to use Kirchhoff's laws

you can find the current in 2 circuits using ohm's law and the potential drop across 2 resistor configuration.
then apply Kirchhoff loop law law and insert value of i in 2 circuits ... you'll get 2 eqn in 2 variables ... which you can solve

Thank you for the reply.
I'm doing AS physics and I haven't heard of Kirchhoff's law before.
Which equation would I use?

Kirchhoff laws says that net potential drop/gain in any closed circuit is 0

for this ... give any loop a sense of rotation (clockwise or anticlockwise) and take potential drop as negative and potential gain as positive or vice verse

then list all potential drop and potential gain and equate them to 0

check this:
http://www.globalshiksha.com/content/examples-of-kirchhoffs-question
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchhoff's_circuit_laws

Last edited by a moderator:

Based on the information provided, we can use the equations E = V + Ir and V = IR to calculate the emf and internal resistance of the cell. In circuit 1, the pd (voltage) across the 10.0 Ohm resistor is 10.43 V, and the resistance is 10.0 Ohms. Using V = IR, we can calculate the current to be 1.043 A. Plugging this into the equation E = V + Ir, we get E = 10.43 V + (1.043 A)(10.0 Ohms) = 20.43 V. Therefore, the emf of the cell is 20.43 V.

In circuit 2, the total resistance is 2.86 Ohms (calculated by adding the parallel resistances 10.0 Ohms and 4.00 Ohms). We already know the pd across the 10.0 Ohm resistor is 7.87 V. Using V = IR, we can calculate the current to be 0.787 A. Plugging this into the equation E = V + Ir, we get E = 7.87 V + (0.787 A)(2.86 Ohms) = 9.09 V. Therefore, the emf of the cell in circuit 2 is 9.09 V.

To calculate the internal resistance of the cell, we can use the equation E = V + Ir again, this time using the values we just calculated for emf and current in each circuit. In circuit 1, we get 20.43 V = 10.43 V + (1.043 A)(R), where R is the internal resistance. Solving for R, we get R = 10.0 Ohms. Similarly, in circuit 2 we get 9.09 V = 7.87 V + (0.787 A)(R), and solving for R gives us R = 2.86 Ohms. Therefore, the internal resistance of the cell is 2.86 Ohms.

It is important to note that the internal resistance of a cell is not a fixed value and can vary depending on factors such as age and temperature. Therefore, the values calculated in this problem may not be exact, but they provide a general understanding of how to calculate emf and internal resistance using the given information.

1. How do you calculate the emf of a circuit with two cells?

The emf (electromotive force) of a circuit with two cells can be calculated by simply adding the emf values of each individual cell together. For example, if one cell has an emf of 1.5 volts and the other has an emf of 2 volts, the total emf of the circuit would be 3.5 volts.

2. What is internal resistance and how do you calculate it?

Internal resistance is the resistance that exists within a cell or battery, which can affect the flow of current in a circuit. It is represented by the symbol "r" and is measured in ohms. To calculate internal resistance, you can use the formula r = (V - E)/I, where V is the terminal voltage, E is the emf, and I is the current.

3. Can the internal resistance of two circuits with the same cell be different?

Yes, the internal resistance of two circuits with the same cell can be different. The internal resistance is affected by factors such as the type and condition of the cell, as well as the materials used in the circuit. Therefore, even if the cells are the same, the internal resistance can vary.

4. How does the internal resistance affect the overall performance of a circuit?

The internal resistance can affect the overall performance of a circuit by decreasing the voltage and increasing the current in the circuit. This can result in a decrease in the overall power output of the circuit. It can also cause the cell to heat up and decrease its lifespan.

5. What are some practical applications of calculating emf and internal resistance in circuits?

Calculating emf and internal resistance is important in the design and analysis of circuits, especially for determining the optimal performance of a circuit. It is also useful in troubleshooting and identifying problems in circuits, such as voltage drops and current fluctuations. Additionally, knowledge of emf and internal resistance can be applied in fields such as electrical engineering and renewable energy systems.