Calculate Force on Electron in Magnetic Field: 61500V, 0.477T

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of the force on an electron in a vacuum accelerated by a voltage of 61500 V and entering a region with a uniform magnetic field of 0.477 T. Using the formula F=qBvsin0 (0 = theta), we can find the force by first determining the velocity of the electron. This can be done by equating the potential energy (U = Vq) to the kinetic energy (1/2 mv^2) and solving for v. The resulting equation for velocity is v = SQRT(2qv/m), which can then be substituted into the original formula for force (F = qBvsin0) to find the magnitude of the force on the electron
U154756
Here is the problem word for word:

An electron in a vacuum is first accelerated by a voltage of 61500 V and then enters a region in which there is a uniform magnetic field of 0.477 T at right angles to the direction of the electron's motion. The mass of the electron is 9.11e-31 Kg and its charge is 1.60218e-19 C. What is the magnitude fo the force on the electron due to the magnetic field? Answer in units of N.

The problem is easy in the fact that the formula to use is F=qBvsin0 (0 = theta). However, I cannot figure out how to get the velocity, as it is the unknown here. I know that v=E/B; however, I cannot figure out how to get E from the information provided in the problem.

Can anyone clue me in on how to get E from the information above?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use an energy approach, since clearly, you are given the energy imparted to the electron, because it's being accelerated through a voltage difference. Then equate that energy to the kinetic energy to find the speed v.

you don't need E to get the velocity

[tex]E_{el}=\frac{1}{2}U\cdot q\hspace{2cm} E_{kin}=\frac{1}{2}m\cdot v^2[/tex]

[tex]E_{el}=E_{kin}\hspace{2cm}\rightarrow v=\sqrt{\frac{U\cdot q}{m}} \hspace{2cm}\rightarrow F=q\cdot B\cdot \sqrt{\frac{U\cdot q}{m}}[/tex]

:wink:
Regards
Roman

Thanks for your help. I came up with something close to Gellman's solution using Galileo's hint. What I came up with is:

U = Vq (potential energy)
1/2 mv^2 (kinetic energy)

Vq = 1/2 mv^2 (then solve for v)
v = SQRT(2qv/m)

F = qB(SQRT(2qv/m))sin0 (0 = theta)

Related to Calculate Force on Electron in Magnetic Field: 61500V, 0.477T

1. How do you calculate the force on an electron in a magnetic field?

To calculate the force on an electron in a magnetic field, you can use the formula F = qvB, where F is the force, q is the charge of the electron, v is its velocity, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the force on an electron in a magnetic field?

The unit of measurement for the force on an electron in a magnetic field is Newtons (N).

3. How do you determine the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field can be determined by measuring the force it exerts on a charged particle, such as an electron, using the formula F = qvB. The higher the force, the stronger the magnetic field.

4. What is the impact of increasing the voltage on the force applied to an electron in a magnetic field?

Increasing the voltage will increase the force applied to an electron in a magnetic field, as the formula for force includes the voltage (F = qvB). This means that a higher voltage will result in a stronger force on the electron.

5. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the force on an electron?

The direction of the magnetic field affects the force on an electron as the force is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the electron's velocity. This means that the direction of the magnetic field can change the direction of the force on the electron.