Calculate the coefficient of friction of a box sliding down a hill?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coefficient of kinetic friction between a block sliding down a hill with a 20° slope and the hill itself. The solution involves using conservation of energy and the work-energy principle to set up an equation and solve for the coefficient of friction.
nerdgirl14

Homework Statement

A block slides down a hill. The hill has a gentle 20° slope with respect to
the horizontal. The block has an initial speed of 6 m/s. If the block comes to a stop
after traveling a total distance of 11 m along the slope, what is the coefficient of kinetic
friction between the block and the hill?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Fkk*n

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I did was draw a FBD. The box is going forward in the positive direction so the kinetic friction is acting in the opposite direction. There is force of gravity acting on the box and normal force, these forces are in the opposite direction on y axis. My x-axis with was with respect to the slop, so kinetic friction is in the negative direction and the box is in position direction, on the x axis.
Now I don't know what to do next...help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use conservation of energy.

Okay so use
1/2*m*v2=m*g*h
and I solve for m, this way then I can find gravity and find the two components of gravity. The y component of gravity will give the normal force. But then how do i find the kinetic friction?

What is initial energy and what is the final energy of the block. The difference is work done, which is friction.

Ok wouldn't the m cancel out with the conservation of energy?

Yes, All have m as factor.
[itex]KE=\frac {1}{2}mv^2[/itex]
[itex]PE=mgh[/itex]
[itex]friction=μN=μmgCosθ[/itex]

Oh I see now
So I can set up the equation like this:

1/2mv2-mgh=μmgCosθ

Isolating for μ:

μ=(v2/2-gh)/gcosθ

μ=(6m/s2/2-(9.80 m/s2)(11m))/(9.80 m/s2)cos 20°

μ=-9.75

Is this correct?

Your equation should be both sides with equal units, joules.
Your initial energy should be PE+KE.

How come the initial energy is PE+KE? I thought originally the box was sliding down so all energy is KE and then it comes to a stop so all energy is PE

azizlwl said:
Use conservation of energy.
Mechanical energy is not conserved in this problem; there is friction.

nerdgirl14 said:
How come the initial energy is PE+KE? I thought originally the box was sliding down so all energy is KE and then it comes to a stop so all energy is PE
There is always both kinetic and potential energy, even though at some points one or the other may be zero. Of course, by `always' I mean always when there is something around to give rise to potential energy.

tms said:
Mechanical energy is not conserved in this problem; there is friction.

Work-Energy Principle.

Never mind.

Last edited:

Related to Calculate the coefficient of friction of a box sliding down a hill?

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance or "stickiness" between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless quantity, typically denoted by the symbol μ (mu), and is used to calculate the force needed to overcome the friction between the two surfaces.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

To calculate the coefficient of friction, you need to know the normal force (the force perpendicular to the surface) and the force of friction (the force parallel to the surface). The coefficient of friction is then equal to the force of friction divided by the normal force.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

There are several factors that can affect the coefficient of friction, including the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or adhesives. Additionally, the coefficient of friction can also vary depending on the amount of force applied and the relative speed of the two surfaces.

4. How does the angle of the hill affect the coefficient of friction?

The angle of the hill can have a significant impact on the coefficient of friction. As the angle increases, the normal force also increases, which can increase the frictional force and therefore the coefficient of friction. Additionally, a steeper angle may also cause the box to slide faster, further affecting the coefficient of friction.

5. Why is it important to calculate the coefficient of friction for a box sliding down a hill?

Calculating the coefficient of friction in this scenario is important because it allows us to predict how the box will behave as it slides down the hill. It can help us determine the amount of force needed to stop the box, how quickly it will slide, and whether additional measures (such as adding a brake or using a different surface) are necessary to ensure the safety of the box and its contents.