Calculate the final temperature of the ice cream

In summary, the nitrogen and ice cream mixture reached a equilibrium and released energy in the form of heat. The final temperature of the ice cream was calculated to be T(final) = (Mn*S*Tinitial n - Mc*S*Tinitial c)/(-Mn*S+Mc*S)
karr

Homework Statement

5L of liquid nitrogen @ -205 degree celsius and 1L of liquid ice cream @ 15 degree celsius - they are both mixed. upon mixture nitrogen evaporates and ice cream hardens or freezes. Assuming only 14% of the energy gained by the nitrogen in the process of warming to room temperature (25c) was absorbed from the cream mixture, calculate the final temperature of the ice cream.

Homework Equations

Info for Nitrogen:
density = .807g/ml
boiling point N = -195.8c
melting point = -210c
delta H vaporation=199.1 J/g
specific heat of liquid N=1.04j/g*c

Info for Ice cream
density- 1.032g/ml
melting point=-.540c
boiling point=100.17c
specific heat liquid=3.93J/g*c
specific heat solid=2.042J/g*c

(c= degree celsius)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that they both have to reach a equilibrium and i can carry out the problem from there but the 14% and room temp are throwing me off, how do i use that info?

T(final) = (Mn*S*Tinitial n - Mc*S*Tinitial c)/(-Mn*S+Mc*S)
s=specific heat
Mn= mass of nitrogen
T=temp
c=ice cream

is there anything wrong that I am doing in this equation? please reply ASAP
thnx

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wicked problem

from what I can see there are 2 parts:

1. calculate delta H for the nitrogen as it warms up = delta H (absorbed)

this involves 3 steps

a) from -205c to boiling pt N2 \
b) heat of vap of N2
c) from boiling pt to room temp

this is total delta H for N2 = a + b + c

2. since the N2 got only 14% of its energy from the cream mixture, then (this might be a leap) 14% of the total delta H for N2 would be the energy that the cream released as it became ice-cream

so that 14% of total delta H for N2 = delta H of ice-cream

this has 2 steps

d. delta H (liquid at 25C--> solid at mp)
e.delta H (solid at mp --> s at final t)

delta H ice-cream = d + e

you should be able to get d) from your data, you have the delta H of ice-cream, solve for e and final T

usually there is a term for delta H fusion (melting) and that is not given here, but since ice-cream is not a pure-substance, it may not be needed

p.s. watch your signs as you work this out

Last edited:
srry i forgot to post the delta H fusion of ice cream is 85.272J/g

karr said:
srry i forgot to post the delta H fusion of ice cream is 85.272J/g

well there you go then, add that into the delta H of the icecream

thank you so much, u r great!

1. How do you calculate the final temperature of the ice cream?

The final temperature of the ice cream can be calculated by using the formula Q=mCΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the ice cream, C is the specific heat capacity of the ice cream, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. What factors affect the final temperature of the ice cream?

The final temperature of the ice cream can be affected by factors such as the initial temperature of the ice cream, the room temperature, the type and quantity of ingredients used, and the rate at which heat is applied.

3. How does the specific heat capacity of the ice cream impact the final temperature?

The specific heat capacity of the ice cream is a measure of how much heat energy is needed to raise the temperature of the ice cream. A higher specific heat capacity means that it will take more heat energy to raise the temperature of the ice cream, resulting in a lower final temperature.

4. Can the final temperature of the ice cream be lower than the room temperature?

Yes, it is possible for the final temperature of the ice cream to be lower than the room temperature. This can occur if the ice cream is placed in a cooler environment or if it loses heat to the surroundings faster than it gains heat.

5. How can I ensure an accurate calculation of the final temperature of the ice cream?

To ensure an accurate calculation of the final temperature of the ice cream, it is important to accurately measure the initial temperature of the ice cream, use the correct values for the specific heat capacity and mass, and consider all factors that may affect the temperature change of the ice cream.