Calculate Force AB & Angle Support System

In summary: Your math is in error. C^2 = 40000 + 10000 =50000 \sqrt C} = \sqrt 50000 = ?C= 223.6 lb In summary, the problem involves calculating the force and angle for a support system with a pinned point and a cable connected at an unknown angle. Using the equations \SigmaFx=0 and \SigmaFy=0, the x and y components of the forces can be determined. Alternatively, the Triangle Method can be used to calculate the hypotenuse of a triangle with known legs of 200 and 100. The tension in the cable is then equal and opposite to this resultant force. The final answer is C=223.6
Dellis
Hi, I been trying to do this exercise, visually it looks very basic but I just need some guidance, thanks in advance :).

Homework Statement

Calculate the Force AB in Cable and the angle(theta symbol) for support system shown.

Point A pinned and Point B connected as a cable at an angle( not given ), Point B with a Force of 100 going to the right and a Weight of 200, like displayed below.

A
\_________>F=100
|B
|
|
|
[W]=200

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx=0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy=0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]M=0

The Attempt at a Solution

1st step- The free Body Diagram showing all the forces

2nd step- Guidance needed at this point, is this the right direction?

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fxy= 100-200=0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dellis said:
Hi, I been trying to do this exercise, visually it looks very basic but I just need some guidance, thanks in advance :).

Homework Statement

Calculate the Force AB in Cable and the angle(theta symbol) for support system shown.

Point A pinned and Point B connected as a cable at an angle( not given ), Point B with a Force of 100 going to the right and a Weight of 200, like displayed below.

A
\_________>F=100
|B
|
|
|
[W]=200

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx=0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy=0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]M=0

The Attempt at a Solution

1st step- The free Body Diagram showing all the forces
Great start. What are the forces acting, both known and unknown?
2nd step- Guidance needed at this point, is this the right direction?

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fxy= 100-200=0
No, what are you doing here? It's sum of F_x = 0, and sum of F_y =0. What are the x components of all the forces; what are the y components of all the forces? You'll get 2 equations with 2 unknowns (T and theta), which you can solve. Alternatively, it may be simpler to compute the resultant (magnitude and direction) of the applied loads, and the Tension must be equal and opposite to that resultant.

PhanthomJay said:
Great start. What are the forces acting, both known and unknown?

No, what are you doing here? It's sum of F_x = 0, and sum of F_y =0. What are the x components of all the forces; what are the y components of all the forces? You'll get 2 equations with 2 unknowns (T and theta), which you can solve. Alternatively, it may be simpler to compute the resultant (magnitude and direction) of the applied loads, and the Tension must be equal and opposite to that resultant.
1. Forces are on a STABLE situation, Force POINT A meets with POINT B which then its Force shows going in a Horizontal direction, then the TENSION of the Weight literally comes down from POINT B2. So its like this?...

F_x = 0
F_x= 100lb

F_y= 0
F_y = -200 lb3. I am confused, is it possible to even use the Triangle Method for this? or that would be making things to complicated?

Show me a route I can follow, this problem visually seems to be basic but I just don't know how to approach it.

Last edited:

Dellis said:
1. Forces are on a STABLE situation, Force POINT A meets with POINT B which then its Force shows going in a Horizontal direction, then the TENSION of the Weight literally comes down from POINT B

2. So its like this?...

F_x = 0
F_x= 100lb
F_x can't simultaneously be 0 and 100. The equation at joint B is sum of all forces in the x direction is 0. You have 100 units of force acting to the right, and T* cos theta units of force acting to the left.
F_y= 0
F_y = -200 lb
Same comment; 200 acting down and T*sin theta acting up, sum of which are 0.
3. I am confused, is it possible to even use the Triangle Method for this? or that would be making things to complicated?
Yes, that's the easiest way. Use Pythagorus' theorem to calculate the hypotenuse of a triangle with legs of 200 and 100, and calculate the proper angle. The tension is then equal and opposite to this result.

PhanthomJay said:
Yes, that's the easiest way. Use Pythagorus' theorem to calculate the hypotenuse of a triangle with legs of 200 and 100, and calculate the proper angle. The tension is then equal and opposite to this result.

Right direction?C(2)= A(2)+B(2)

A(2)= 100(2) + 200(2)

[tex]\sqrt{}[/tex]A(2)= 3000

A= 173.2 lb

Last edited:

Dellis said:
Right direction?

C(2)= A(2)+B(2)

A(2)= 100(2) + 200(2)

[tex]\sqrt{}[/tex]A(2)= 3000

A= 173.2 lb
Ahh, your math is not so good. C is the hypotenuse of the triangle, which you are trying to find. A and B are the legs, given. C must be greater than A or B. It's [tex] C^2 = A^2 + B^2[/tex]. Solve for C.

PhanthomJay said:
Ahh, your math is not so good. C is the hypotenuse of the triangle, which you are trying to find. A and B are the legs, given. C must be greater than A or B. It's [tex] C^2 = A^2 + B^2[/tex]. Solve for C.
Yeah that's why I need help with it :frown:, but anyways I did it again and Its the same thing, so the answer will be now

[tex] C^2 = A^2 + B^2[/tex]

C^2= 200^2 + 100^2

[tex]\sqrt[]{}[/tex]C^2= 30000

C= 173.2 lbWhat is the next step?, help me out here, I know you probably did the problem in your head already, guide me.

Last edited:

Dellis said:
Yeah that's why I need help with it :frown:, but anyways I did it again and Its the same thing, so the answer will be now

[tex] C^2 = A^2 + B^2[/tex]

C^2= 200^2 + 100^2
yes.
[tex]\sqrt[]{}[/tex]C^2= 30000

C= 173.2 lb
Your math is in error.

[tex]C^2 = 40000 + 10000 =50000[/tex]
[tex] \sqrt C} = \sqrt 50000 = ?[/tex]

1. How do I calculate the force of AB in a support system?

The force of AB in a support system can be calculated using the formula F = (w1 x l1) + (w2 x l2), where w1 and w2 are the weights of the objects being supported and l1 and l2 are the lengths of the support arms.

2. Can the angle of the support system affect the force of AB?

Yes, the angle of the support system can affect the force of AB. The force of AB is directly proportional to the sine of the angle between the support arms and the horizontal surface. So, the greater the angle, the greater the force of AB.

3. How do I find the angle of the support system?

The angle of the support system can be found using the inverse sine function, also known as arcsine. The formula for this is angle = sin-1(F / (w1 x l1) + (w2 x l2)), where F is the force of AB and w1, w2, l1, and l2 are as mentioned in question 1.

4. Can I calculate the force of AB and the angle of the support system if one of the weights is unknown?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the force of AB and the angle of the support system if one of the weights is unknown. This can be done by rearranging the formula in question 1 to solve for the unknown weight.

5. Are there any limitations to using this formula for calculating the force of AB and the angle of the support system?

Yes, there are some limitations to this formula. It assumes that the support system is in equilibrium, meaning that the total clockwise moment is equal to the total anticlockwise moment. It also assumes that the weights are point masses, with all of their weight acting at a single point. Real-life scenarios may have additional factors that need to be taken into consideration for more accurate calculations.