Calculate the moments Mx, My and the center of mass

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equation of a line through the point (4,3). The student is confused about the difference between f(x) and g(x) and how to find g(x) using the given point. The solution involves finding the slope of the line and using it to write the equation in the form y = mx + b. Technical points about the equation notation are also discussed.
huybinhs

Homework Statement

2010-10-20_2217.png

2. The attempt at a solution

I'm working on #49 ONLY.

I know the top line equation is f(x) = x

but I need to find the g(x), so how can I find with the point is given (4,3). Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
huybinhs said:

Homework Statement

2010-10-20_2217.png

2. The attempt at a solution

I'm working on #49 ONLY.

I know the top line equation is f(x) = x
No, it isn't. How could it be, if it goes through (4, 3)?
huybinhs said:
but I need to find the g(x), so how can I find with the point is given (4,3). Please help!
What is g(x) supposed to represent? I am assuming that what you are calling f(x) is the line through (0, 0) and (4, 3).

Mark44 said:
No, it isn't. How could it be, if it goes through (4, 3)?
What is g(x) supposed to represent? I am assuming that what you are calling f(x) is the line through (0, 0) and (4, 3).

I got it! It is the slope of the line = 3/4, so the equation line is 3x/4 ;)

Technical point: The equation of the line is y = 3x/4. 3x/4 is not an equation (there's no = .)

hehe, "what you can't ignore.." http://bayarearoster.com/js/includes/34/b/happy.gif

Mark44 said:
Technical point: The equation of the line is y = 3x/4. 3x/4 is not an equation (there's no = .)

Gooooooooooot it ;)

Incognition said:
hehe, "what you can't ignore.." http://bayarearoster.com/js/includes/34/b/happy.gif

Agree ;)

What is the purpose of calculating the moments Mx and My?

The moments Mx and My are used to determine the distribution of mass in an object and its orientation with respect to a specific axis. This information is important in understanding the stability and motion of an object.

How are the moments Mx and My calculated?

The moments Mx and My are calculated by multiplying the mass of each element in an object by its distance from a chosen axis. The sum of these individual moments gives the total moment for that particular axis.

What is the center of mass and why is it important?

The center of mass is the point where the entire mass of an object is considered to be concentrated. It is important because it helps us understand how an object will move and react to external forces.

How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by dividing the sum of the individual moments Mx and My by the total mass of the object. This gives the coordinates of the center of mass in terms of the chosen axis.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the moments Mx, My and the center of mass?

The accuracy of calculating the moments Mx, My and the center of mass can be affected by the precision of measurements, the density and distribution of mass in the object, and the chosen axis of reference. In some cases, external forces such as friction may also affect the accuracy of these calculations.