Calculate work from PV diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the net work from a complete cycle and the use of various equations, including the ideal gas law and Boyle's Law. There is confusion regarding the use of volume or specific volume in the equation for work, with the conclusion that there should be an additional m in the equation. The use of a slash through the V's is to differentiate between volume and specific volume.
dan28029
1. Problem Statement

The problem asks to find the net work from one complete cycle A-B-C. Problem 13, starting on page 66 of the slide show here:

https://engineering.purdue.edu/~xe/Files/FE%20Review/Thermo/FEThermoReview2013.pdf

Homework Equations

ideal gas law: PV=mRT
Boyle's Law: W=RTln(v2/v1)

3. Attempt at solution

I understand most of the solution, but on page 67, says that W=R*T*ln(Vb/Va) is equivalent to W=p*Va*ln(Vb/Va), assuming ideal gas and constant mass. I don't understand why you can use volume here instead of specific volume.

From the ideal gas law: PV=mRT and RT=PV/m. So I thought it should be W=p*Va/m*ln(Vb/Va). Why can we eliminate m here?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There should be an m in the equation W=R*T*ln(Vb/Va). It should read W=m*R*T*ln(Vb/Va).

Likes 1 person
What's wrong is "W = RT ln(Vb/Va)". It should be W = mRT ln(Vb/Va).
Notice that the wrong formula is never used in the computations.

P.S. why do they put a slash thru the V's?

Likes 1 person
One equation for isothermal work is W = m*R*T* ln(Vb/Vb). He has either made a mistake by omitting the number of moles or he has calculated the heat for 1 mole.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the responses. Good to know I'm not crazy.

Chestermiller said:
There should be an m in the equation W=R*T*ln(Vb/Va). It should read W=m*R*T*ln(Vb/Va).

In the reference material for the fundamentals of engineering exam, the formula also does not include mass. I guess its a typo. Maybe that's where the author of the presentation got the formula from.

rude man said:
P.S. why do they put a slash thru the V's?

I think it is to differentiate between volume and specific volume. It confused me at first though.

What is a PV diagram?

A PV (pressure-volume) diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure and volume of a system. It is commonly used to analyze thermodynamic processes and calculate work done by a system.

How do you calculate work from a PV diagram?

The work done by a system can be calculated by finding the area under the curve on a PV diagram. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller shapes, such as rectangles or trapezoids, and using their respective formulas to find their areas. The work is then equal to the sum of all the individual areas.

What is the unit of work in a PV diagram?

The unit of work in a PV diagram is Joules (J), which is the standard unit for energy. This is because work is a measure of energy, and in a PV diagram, it represents the energy transferred by a system through a change in volume.

Can work be negative in a PV diagram?

Yes, work can be negative in a PV diagram. This occurs when the system does work on its surroundings, rather than the other way around. In this case, the area under the curve will be below the x-axis, representing a negative value for work.

Are there any limitations to calculating work from a PV diagram?

While calculating work from a PV diagram is a useful method, there are some limitations to consider. This method assumes that the process is reversible and that the pressure and volume remain constant throughout the process. It also does not take into account any changes in internal energy or energy lost due to friction or other factors.